Amends

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 08:02:59 GMT

Benedict Adamson wrote:
<<Err, you don't want them to escape unpunished, but you do want them
to escape unpunished?>>
Yes, in a kind of sense: I wonder where the vengeance stops; if my Pcs kill someone, his/her/its friends want to kill my Pcs. If my Pcs survive, do the attacks continue? What can they do to avoid this? Loren Miller suggested heroquesting, but I 'd like a more mundane and daily way to resolve the problem. A kind of ritual or of spell, common to many cults. A sort of "transfer guilt" spell.

<<What kind of campaign are you running, is it dangerous for the player
characters? Do poor character actions have appropriate consequences? In Glorantha, as in the real world, some actions (stupidity in particular) are punishable by death. If you don't want your players to slaughter everyone, simply allow them to play how they wish, kill the player characters in the inevitable vengeance bloodbath and have the players generate new characters. The players will be more careful next time round.>>
I did it first instance, but my players have not learned. Or, maybe, my GM style, very hard and perilous for the distracted ones, impeded them to fully apply their caution. I like to have players off-balance and I surprise them often. They are very cautious, but still I am the GM and they know it (iron grasp? maybe I am a dictator in my subconscious)

<<Wergild IS the only alternative to unceasing slaughter, in Orlanthi
culture.

I dimly remember reading somewhere that Europe has two legal traditions: the Roman/Christian and the (barbarian) Germanic. The first was concerned with motives and contrition, the second with consequences and amendment. Thus the first would focus on whether a killing was premeditated, whereas the second would focus on the fact that someone was dead. The Germanic tradition is more appropriate as a model for Orlanthi culture. Thus the fact that the characters are sorry that they have killed someone is not important. They must make good the loss.>>
This is really good. Thank you, Benedict. I think this will help me. I must meditate for sometime, now. Unless someone has other comments? Ciao

Gian