More Glorantha vs. RW.

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 09:05:14 GMT

Alex Ferguson wrote:

<<Gian Gero:
>Please, don't think so. Malkionism is much different from Christianity. It
>resembles the (wrong) idea of Christianity that non- Christians have.
Or worse, that ex-/lapsed Christians have, hrm?>>

Why 'worse', I don't think the difference is substantial in most cases.

<<> The only real resemblances are in Malkioni culture and social structure
>which is similar to feudal western Europe (which was Christian and
>not-Malkioni, of course). Other analogies fail or are irrelevant, IMO.
That strikes me as just a little bit of a blanket statement. I can understand why this might be a 'sensitive' topic in many respects: if one has a sincere belief, seeing it 'Monomythologised' and otherwise subject to the vagarities of being mapped onto a fictional world may be distinctly problematic, but nevertheless, I'd like to see some more detail on _why_ Christianity is entirely qualitatively different from any Gloranthan religion.>>
The point is that I already detailed this matter here. I understood Andy Larsen agreed with me too. But I am caritative, Alex.

The main difference is that Gloranthan Religions (all that I know) are contractualistic, "do ut des", I give you (deity) power/worship/obedience, you give me (initiate) power/magic/helpers. Christianity, well, the Roman Catholic Church does not say so: it says: 'this is God, Who decided to love us and to reveal Him to us. I am His body, and I can help you in interpret His Word. God told us that if you follow our teachings you will be saved. If you don't follow our teachings, who can say what will happen to your soul?' (no threat, here, just doubt)
'Our teachings are not to give to us or to God power,money,worship,obedience, but that loving yout brethren and loving God are the best ways, the most safe ways to save your soul.' Love (gratuity, thanksgiving, humility, solidarity, trust) is the basis, not obedience, power, money or worship. These things are liable to be obstacles to save you, not means of salvation (this is difficult to explain and you should ask a Priest, not me).
And what is love? This is an entirely different chapter, one about which I do not want to annoy you if you don't like to.

Lemme know.

Cheers to you, Alex.

Gian