amends

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 09:17:58 GMT

Simon Hibbs wrote

<<Gian Gero :
>cults. A sort of "transfer guilt" spell.

It's difficult to know how to respond to this without knowing the situation. If the players killed a legitimate member of local society in a public place,
then they can expect retribution from family and friends, or the law.>>

Usually they kill undecent peoples (Death Lords, Doom Masters, Arms of Yara Aranis, Disease Masters) during adventures, not in public places and not against the actual laws of their society.

<<I don't see cult as being necesserily very important in this regard. I would
have thought that family and frindship relationships would be more important,
although some cults are very tight knit as social groups and higher ranking cult members are likely to have followers and powerfull friends who will want vengeance.>>
Cults are important in this regards, because the reasons for killing are not personal but religious.

<<A death cult such as Humakt, Storm Bull or Zorak Zoran pretty much expects it's members to get killed by someone sooner or later anyway. Being the actual killer isn't going to win you any popularity contests, but if the conflict was a personal matter between you and the deceased then they may well just leave it at that.>>
IMG, those cults do not merely expect their member to be fatalistically killed. They live and thrive on the cult pleasure of persecuting their religious foes (=those who kill their fellows for religious reasons)

<<I realy hate the idea of a spell to transfer guilt in this sense.>> Me too, but I am going to choose between an unfair spell and a boring game of endless feuds.

<<After all,
if the killing was witnessed then does it affect the memories of the witnesses? If not, then in what sense is the guilt transfered?>> Lemme explain with an example, Simon: you know Hut of Darkness by MOB, a scenario in which the PCs discover in the end they are paid to kill a powerful Death Lord.
MOB might be joking, but he wrote: "eventually the killers will be persecuted by ZZ avengers, HellRoar, the Mummy of the Death Lord, his revengeful colleagues".
He (MOB) was probably joking, but this suggestion of his is consistent with what I think of ZZ, Storm Bull, Thanathar, Babeester and other cults' way of thinking.

So I began to wonder...

Ciao
Gian