Dwarf society

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:02:57 +0000

Here are some thought on how dwarf society works. The is largely HIWPBIMG (How It Will Probably Be In My Game).

Premise -
Dwarf society is very regimented - everyone has his place and everyone knows his job.

Result -
Dwarf society is a paradise for the Jobsworth (it's more than my job's worth to let you move that pile of rock).

Premise -
Dwarf society has procedures for everything and plans to deal with every situation.

Result -
Paperwork (or its dwarf equivalent) is vital to getting any job done.

Premise -
But the World Machine is broken, and broken in chaotic (i.e. unpredictable) ways so it is impossible for plans created in past ages to cope with patterns of damage which were unknown at the time.

Result 1 -
Getting round the system is an important skill in dwarf society. Work gets done to the extent that the foreman in charge knows how to get by without the requisite permits, how to stockpile excess materials against the time they will be needed for that job which isn't on the work schedules yet.

Result 2 -

Quantity surveyor is an important job in Dwarf society - someone has to determine the scope of damage and estimate the materials and manpower, sorry dwarfpower, required to effect repairs.

Any comments?

Richard Crawley
"It is better to be savaged by a dog
than to be dogged by a savage"