Re: Mostali society

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:34:49 EST

<< Subject: Dwarf society >>

I am an expert at this because I work in a real time simulation of dwarf society - a fully malfunctioing manufacturing company.

 <<Here are some thought on how dwarf society works.  The is largely HIWPBIMG (How It Will Probably Be In  My Game).

 Premise -
 Dwarf society is very regimented - everyone has his place  and everyone knows his job.>>

More specifically, they know what ISN'T their job, as in "that's not my job"

 <<Result -
 Dwarf society is a paradise for the Jobsworth (it's more than  my job's worth to let you move that pile of rock).>>

I have certain sections (Octamonists) down as 'by the book' Jobsworths. 'Only by following ISO9000 can we repair the machine'

<< Premise -

 Dwarf society has procedures for everything and plans to  deal with every situation.>>

Dwarf society has procedures for everything that it thinks can happen - how could it happen if their isn't a procedure for it? Unfortunately it didn't expect the unexpected.

 <<Result -
 Paperwork (or its dwarf equivalent) is vital to getting any  job done..>>

I go along with this line in obstructionist procedure as being entirely Mostali.

<< Premise -

 But the World Machine is broken, and broken in chaotic  (i.e. unpredictable) ways so it is impossible for plans  created in past ages to cope with patterns of damage  which were unknown at the time.

 Result 1 -
 Getting round the system is an important skill in dwarf  society. Work gets done to the extent that the foreman  in charge knows how to get by without the requisite  permits, how to stockpile excess materials against the  time they will be needed for that job which isn't on the  work schedules yet.>>

Major conflict between Gold Production Schedulers and ' Think they know it all' Foremen. A load of other schedules get disrupted by the excess WIP lying around the place because some Foreman thinks his department is more crucuial than the others.

 <<Result 2 -

 Quantity surveyor is an important job in Dwarf society -  someone has to determine the scope of damage and  estimate the materials and manpower, sorry dwarfpower,  required to effect repairs.>>

I would call it a 'demand forecaster', or maybe a 'capacity planner' but then I believe that MRP stands for Mostal's Repair Plan and MRP2 is Mostali Resource Planning. All I need now is an accurate Bill of Mostali. Where is that damn Lead Dwarf delivery?

<< Any comments?

 Richard Crawley >>

Apologies to any non-manufacturing digesters who don't understand what I am on about.

Keith N