Nuts

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:27:36 GMT

Dear Gloranthophiles,
Some of you will be glad to read this.
I quit to write to this Digest.
I was publicly (and privately) offended by his administrator and that was the last drop, if you take my meaning.
I get tired of being offended and to hear that some of you don't bother to know this and don't bother to understand why they offended me. I could bear anything except the "authority" telling me what to say and what not to say. This does not mean I lose my admiration for the Author of Glorantha or for the multitude of friends who so kindly wrote and commented fairly, with wits and manners, my opinions.
I suspect that you, anglo-saxon people can't really understand my feelings and my way of thinking. But, really, the Digest was yours and ever will be. I have tried for a full month to cry you that I am not like you, that I think different because I am no Scandinavian or AngloSaxon, that the world is full of people who love Glorantha but don't find a way to express their opinions because they are stampeded if they try. Someone told me that the only culture well-represented in Glorantha is the Orlanthi-Celtic-Anglo-Saxon one. He is right, but you deny my right to represent in a better way my view of Glorantha which is not Orlanthi. Glorantha is mine, as it is yours, because its author indended so (and I hope that those were not only words), so I or Terra have the right to question the way you (not Greg) like to represent western culture or eastern culture.
And we have the right to say so without being labelled as Off-topic monsters.
I wonder what you think of Glorantha or of the RW itself. That it is full only of people like you? Well, open your eyes. You treat me like a rebel teen-ager because you don't understand me and (what's worst)don't want to. You dare say that I am lamenting and exercising my Ego. You do not even know what my Ego suggests me.
Tolerance and Freedom are Humankind Values. Your precious Topicness is not. Period.

You (some of you to be honest) try to confute my opinions using definitions (I read in this book that...- My great scholarship tells me that...). You are wrong. Use your brains, not definitions; use your inferential empirical ability. That ability told me that there are cultures in this world and there are religions, and the both of them you can't ignore, because they shape and inform your Digesters more than their Gloranthan interests. You prefer to be blind and to quote to me (sometimes in a wrong way) sources and prejudices and even Latin mottos!
I do not despise you, mind it: I pity you. Your brains will ever serve you better than any external source or definition, better than your (true or pretended) scholarship.

Why you don't label as "off-topic" Star Trek entries or Superheroes' ones? Do you bother to ask this yourselves? Because this elements where born in your own culture so they are in-topic.
I suggest that the Anglo-Saxon bias in this Digest is much more stronger than its Gloranthan bias. You could be aware of that or not, but I know it because my experience tells me.

To those of you who are feeling offended by my bitterness I say: forgive me if you can and try to grow on and to open your minds. Uroxi-shits are abundant enough in the RW not to let them in our only Gloranthan Digest. Enjoy it, it is yours and it is as you want it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to burn myself on Glamour Square, crying "Orlanth is Free" ;-)

Fare thee well and arrivederci.

Gianfranco Geroldi, Cremona, Italia