Another Base Canard, Gian, Onslaught

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 16:51:35 -0800

Peter sez (perhaps dryly):

>If you are venturing onto the plains of prax, you could
>also have a magical treasure: the cauldron of orange
>sauce. Any duck unit stacked with it or taken prisoner
>by its holder will be converted into a supply train that
>supplies stacks on the chaparral.

Made with imported oranges, no doubt, but where from? Does Kethaela and/or Maniria have climates that would support the growing of citrus? With the slowly improving weather, I suppose citrus production in the Lunar Empire is on the rise, though there may have been a citrus-Yelm connection all along.

There are many more ways to dress a duck, however. Madeira sauce, plum or red currant jelly, juniper sauce, or even a bread sauce can be used. Though, as the Malkoni philosopher says "In Orlanthi lands there are 60 gods and only one sauce." =)

On a more somber note, I for one am sorry to see Gian go. The Digest has an unfortunate tendency to eat its young, even the Anglo-Saxon ones, which is too bad for all involved. Hopefully Gian will continue to look in on us.

As for Onslaught, I think a steady diet of Eurmali (Make Stiff Humakti Look Like Buffoon 7www) and Vorians (Taunt/Cry At Big Meanie 5ww) is in order. As Ernalda says "There is always another way."

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies

"The common Marsh Coot, often scorned as food, is actually quite tasty if prepared as the Durluz do, not plucked but skinned, for the fat lining of the skin, what there is of it, can be quite strong. Our Durluz host not only did this but soaked the birds in salted water with a small amount of vinegar added, then prepared them in a stew. When asked if eating coot did not bother them, the Ducks all shrugged and said the birds were no relatives of theirs."