Re: Hydra of Carantes

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 05:58:40 EST

In a message dated 2/5/00 10:31:45AM, you write: Peter:
<< >Hydra - as per DP

>Don't think so. It first appeared at the siege of Carantes
>in the zero wane.

I hadn't realised that it was the same Hydra but I am prepared to believe that it is.

 << Reference? I find, to my amusement, that virtually all it says  about the siege of Carantes in the zero wane history of the Lunar Empire is  that very little is known about it. But its fairly definate on that.>>

There are plenty of references to the Red City of Carantes being some sort of border between the Carmanians and the Dara Happan/Lunar Empire. It always seems to end up as a neutral ground where dodgy deals get made. There is a specific reference to a Hydra appearing and either eating everyone or scaring them away, or a bit of both (I can't remember which). I think the Hydra appears because some sort of magical deal gets broken by one side or the other and the Hydra is the consequence. Specifically something to do with a captured Carmanian noble and some weakness in the Lunar way exposed in a banned play. Details escape me at the moment. Anyway, IMG the city was repopulated by those radical Lunars who were persecuted by traditional Dara Happans ('Oh daddy, you're such a patriarchal Dara Happan, I'm running away to Carantes to worship the New Red Moon and speak when I want to').

Keith N