Humakti Generalship

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:09:35 -0800

Chris Bell sez:

>I'm interested in the role of the general, since Humakt seems to me
>one of the few Orlanth pantheon deities capable of organizing large
>bands of warriors and turning them into soldiers...complete with drill
>and file, complex tactics and logistics.

I see Humakti more in the role of Drill Instructor or Unit Champion than as tactical commander. Enclosure #1 has some articles by Martin Laurie and Pam Carlson that do a good job of describing the way an Orlanthi force might be organized in war. I imagine that in an Orlanthi council of war the Humakti would act as the Voice of Offense, while the Elmali would be the Voice of Defense, giving the Chief/King/ General a range of options in conducting military opperations.

Admittedly, it may be a modern sentiment, but I prefer generals who are loath to spend lives as easily as a Humakti might to attain a goal, and a Shargashi general would probably be even worse. Still, you probably want those guys leading the way when it comes time to get stuck in.

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies