This HW thingie everybody talks about

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 00:39:05 +0000

Trotsky and Rick have already explained something of the rules, so I'll take a guess at some of the other questions raised (and I do mean guess...)

> Do you want Glorantha to be totally dead,
> or do you want people to know about it?

Obviously we want people to know about it, but we also want them to invest in it to allow Issaries to continue to produce Gloranthan material... Obviously many people here will buy it regardless, and some people won't buy it whether they see the rules on line or not, but "giving away" the rules may not be the best way for Issaries to generate sales - (and if it is, that is a decision that Issaries should take for themselves - they have asked those of us in the GTA not to circulate the password or rules...)

>I hope you guys gave your money to make it possible to print a new good
>Gloranthan RPG to cherish and show all other gamers!

I don't think anyone is planning to retire on the benefits of their GTA membership! That said, we didn't give our money to benefit those who didn't contribute. (That may be unfair to those with no (spare) cash - Tough, you'll have to persuade someone to set up the Teelo Norri Charity to provide Gloranthan materials to impoverished gamers)

> After all, wasn't it David Dunham or Greg who said something about
>having the basics of the rules on the website in the future anyway?
>Would it hurt to tell this small comunity?

It was Greg, it might have been to cover up for his unfortunate lapse in revealing the password accidentally though, when he didn't realise that David had already reset the password ! I suspect the rules that are made "public" will be the bare bones of the system - a HeroWars Lite in the mould of GURPS lite - so less than has currently been revealed to GTA Initiates - possibly slightly more than you will have seen at the Convention Playtest (as well as more up to date). I don't expect to see these rules until fairly shortly before the rules are ready for release - - not only to ensure they don't end up contradicting any last minute changes (though hopefully there shouldn't be any of those left) - but also so they can refer to examples rather than just page XX.

Again it will be a commercial decision by Issaries Inc., as to what the "free" rules contain, and when they will be released, and it is not fair to berate the list for respecting the wishes of the authors and publishers of the game.
- --

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #362