Heroes again

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 02:03:15 EST

Wes
>In a one-on-one fight I can see Onslaught being on par with Jar-Eel and
>Harrek, unfortunately for Onslaught they both tramp about with great big
>warbands and would probably dispatch Onslaught after a few _very_ bloody
>minutes of carnage.

Simon Hibbs:
>I can't see it lasting that long. How long would onslaught last against
>Morden? Harrek and Jar-Eel have shield bearers on a par with Morden.

Yes, I would agree with this to a point. However, Morden was probably close to equal to Harrek or someone similar due to one factor. Morden was prepared and had been preparing for ages. Harrek usually does not get this kind of time.

>What do I base this on? Onslaught as described seems like an absolutely
>top-of-the-range RQ3 uber-character. I haven't seen his stats, which I
>believe exist and we don't have stats for absolutely top-of-the-range
>heroquesters, but it seems pretty obvious that they're in a different
>league alltogether.

Hmm, not to sure about that. I believe a hero was simulatable in RQ, it was just very "large" and laborious.

>We have a taster in the story fragment about Morden and it seems pretty
clear that >Onslaught couldn't touch him.

Again, I would disagree. I think Morden in a four mastery with a lot of edges and increased APs due to support. His enemies were unable to win due to their lack or preparation.

>Heroic abilities are pretty much an auto-win against anything but other
>appropriate heroic abilities.

Heroic abilities are simply abilities beyond the norm, they are still scalable IMO.

>Having said that I think that's perhaps being unfair to Martin. Untill the
>fight with Morden we didn't have any actual descriptions of what a fight
>between heroes is like. We don't have any descriptions of what Harrek or
>Jar-Eel can do in combat.

Yes, this is very true.

>In Martin's campaign world perhaps Onslaught realy is on a par with Argrath
or >Harrek.

I would place him as superior to Argrath in combat and weaker than Harrek. However, I'll be honest and say that given the paucity of material on the subject till recently, such classification has been impossible for anyone with any degree of certainty. The advantage of the HW rules is that we will finally lay these issues to rest.

>The scale of abilities in any given campaign is surely a matter of personal
choice for >the GM. But with HW the benchmark against which we measure the abilities of
> characters in our games and in Gloranth as a whole will probablychange
>considerably.

Yes it will. I've played out 33 sessions of the Gwandor campaign now and we are using the beta rules. The Argrath character has no spare plot points for close combat skills. In fact, I checked his character sheet and in 1622, he could be taken by a tough huscarl in a straight sword to sword fight. He is however a double master in leadership and has a lot of very tough bodyguards...

Martin Laurie