Heroes and Onslaughts.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:14:15 GMT

Martin Laurie:
> Given that I'd rate Onslaught at 4 masteries in his best skills

Given that I wouldn't, I'd like to echo the sentiments of the poster who wondered aloud why this is turning into an exercise in HW number crunching. Isn't it possible to discuss 'what's a Hero like?' and 'is such-and-such a Hero?' without resorting to overt quantification? (And on a scale which itself is another Digest free-fire zone, to boot.)

And elsewhere:

> Hmm, not to sure about that. I believe a hero was simulatable in RQ, it was
> just very "large" and laborious.

> Heroic abilities are simply abilities beyond the norm, they are still
> scalable IMO.

Perhaps this is why we're talking past each other here. If we're going to make argumenta ad greg, he's stated the contrary loudly and often in recent years. Yes, HW game mechanics represent them all in this manner, but I don't think anyone would claim that's strong evidence of anything. If you practice blowing long enough and hard enough, do you become Orlanth, as the HW experience system might imply? (Not that that would make a very interesting campaign, I grant.) I think in order to become a strong-sense-Hero, you have to first of all re-make yourself in the image of the Other Side, and if you want to go all the way in the Hero Biz, you have to then re-make the Other Side to incorporate yourself, into it.

> I would place him as superior to Argrath in combat and weaker than Harrek.
> However, I'll be honest and say that given the paucity of material on the
> subject till recently, such classification has been impossible for anyone
> with any degree of certainty.

I'll agree with that caveat, in spades. What 'the real Argrath' is like is very much something one can argue anyway one likes anyway, much less the issue of the actual game-scale. Mind you, if it's largely Argrath's companions that do the board-game CF 4 nonsense, I'd not want to argue with _them_...

> The advantage of the HW rules is that we will
> finally lay these issues to rest.

That's "lay to rest" in the Al Pacino sense, perhaps... More like, throw petrol on the fores thereof, I'll wager. A higher hope is surely that what Hero Wars will do is tell us a good deal more about Becoming, and Being a Hero in an actual Glorantha sense.

Cheers,
Alex.