Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #364

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:05:33 -0800

>> Lets face it! Game system rules exist to sell supplements like
>> razors exist sell blades (and perhaps to shave). Releasing a
>> minimal set of rules for free, and charging for the Gloranthan
>> content makes perfect sense. Especially sin ce Hero Wars rules are
>> so simple. Take out the Gloranthan material and what is left? Not
>> much. After reading the draft version of HW I was *more* despera
>>te for the final release, not less!

><ECONOMICS MODE ON>

[snip]
>I would say Issaries needs each and every (rules set) dollar to finance the
>development and marketing to get us the Hero Wars supplements we want.

Just to add to this. Role-playing game companies make money (if they do) on sales of Core Rule Books. Supplements are just designed to sell more of the rule books and hopefully not lose money. Really. And they're fun to write.

Rule-lite versions are also designed to sell more full rule books. Expect to see more of them coming from many of my client companies (Issaries, Green Knight, Chaosium, Guardians of Order, etc.)

Cheers,

Eric Rowe
Wizard's Attic Publishing Services
www.wizards-attic.com