Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #367

From: Ilav Topix <ilavtopix_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 16:56:17 GMT

Welcome to everybody.
The all of you are on my list (it's just a matter of POV, isn't it?). You can stay, for a short while. Try not to be annoying ;-)

>I wonder if people can give me any references on the Oasis People, other
>than RoC and Pavis?
>(and Cam's Well in ToRM)
>
>thanks
>
>- -------------------------
>Ian Thomson's Home E-mail

I love these plain questions. They restore my faith in Glorantha as an unreal world...
Forgive me, Ian. I can't help you. Maybe someone else (unless you own Borderlands...: there oasis people were described as poor wretched creatures with nothing of value that was worth a decent nomad raid).

>From: Graham J Robinson <gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
>Subject: Dragonewt cities
>
>Which leaves me the problem of working out what happens when they get
>there. Can anyone point me to some more concrete information as to what
>such a place is like? Preferably on-line, since none of the printed
>material I have appears much help.

Dear Graham, I rem that in Elder Secrets was a fine description of a visit to a dragonewt town. Since you are asking for on-line material, however, I give you this broad rule of mine, about 'newts.

Whenever your characters meet them, make them (the 'newts) behave exactly the opposite your players would expect them to do. After the first two or three contacts, they should begin to realize the fundamental alieness of this race. Next time, they (the 'newts again) will act as mushrooms or college-maidens. It doesn't matter the exact behaviour, but the fact you convey to your players that they are an alien, inhuman race.

All the above are my humble opinions, of course.

Ilav

>Graham Robinson. Dept. Computing Science, Glasgow.
>gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~gjr
>
>"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."

That's your opinion, lad.