Re: Instant Torture

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:17:16 GMT

Peter Metcalfe and David Cake Instantly Torture each other:

> >The instant torture camps where also very much a mechanism
> >of the state for punishment of criminals and disidents, as you might
> >expect.
>
> It is too cruel for such purposes. Furthermore Kralorela would
> just simply execute such criminals for the Underworld to purify
> them.

My understanding is that Peter is broadly correct here; it at least _appears_ that the 'Instant Torture Camps' had a mystical purpose, though this is perhaps a little obscure at this remove in time, and given that Sheng Seleris then appropriated the whole set-up for his own purposes (i.e. training up his henchpersons to be mini-Sheng mysticism-abusers).

> > NB - enlightenment through torture would appear to be a 'short
> >path' type power, a bit like FrenzyPeace, rather than the normal eastern
> >path of gradual detachment.

> Sheng Seleris took 100 years to get where he was through the
> instant torture camps. This isn't a 'short path' in anyone's
> book and harsh asceticism _is_ a valid mystical path, whereas
> Frenzypeace isn't.

I'm not sure which of them is Valid, and which is not (nor am I much bothered, really -- valid, schmalid...). They seem somewhat similar in that they both utilise what Greg would I think call 'Active Austerities'. (As does yer stereotyped self-flaggelating Perfecti, say, or the Gerrans, or the Danfive Xaroni.) I'm sure there are Spiritual Dangers in each of these paths, but it's not clear to me that any of them are entirely devoid of religious truth, either.

Cheers,
Alex.