Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #369

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:28:56 -0500 (EST)

> What a truly horrible thought... Fortunately for those with my tastes in
> gaming, its equally possible to run such a game *without* all the dice
> rolling, although, admittedly, which particular system you happen to be (not)
> using does become somewhat irrelevant at that point.

Agreed. Using dice to resolve intrigue? BLEAGH!!!!! That sounds like the utter worst in munchkin Vampire play. I've witnessed such. They let their dice play their personalities for them. Of course, I generally dislike any game that takes a mechanistic approach to character personalities.

> I fail to see where anyone could get this idea from. It seems to me that
> HW is perfectly capable of handling this sort of game. Its true that its
> rarely used in the examples, and the scenario material seems (alas) likely to
> avoid this sort of thing too, but the game system can handle it perfectly,
> AFAICS.
But why bother to switch game systems if the material accompanying it won't support such? Might as well stay where I am, no?

> Fortunately, HW is probably the first system ever published that avoids
> this problem successfully.

I will believe it only upon seeing it, not an instant before. If it has never been before done, what evidence have I that it has been done now? The only way to know is to see for myself. Thus, I say PUBLISH THE GAME!!!!

> Now there, you are out of luck -assuming you mean fine detail imposed by
> the rules system and dice rolls, RQ style.

By fine detail I mean that it doesn't consist of "wing that mutha". If all "detail" in this game consists of telling the GM to "wing it", there's no point to getting the rules.