Wing it?

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:23:44 -0500 (EST)

> >From what I've seen, HW will be nothing but a mine for Glorantha
> >information. No way to play grubby Ducks scrabbling for klacks alongside
> >grubbier Trollkin scrabbling for bolgs.
>
> Dear Bryan, stop now. You ain't seen nothing.

So publish the game.

> >Guess what--they always invariably
> >fall quite flat at the Jimmy Olsen level. Keeping the numbers sane at
> >the Darkseid level means that the Jimmy Olsen level has a preposterously
> >coarse granularity.
>
> Whereas the HW solution is to sidestep this somewhat by a very free
> form abilities system. Your grubby trollkin could have an enormously high,
> nay, heroic level in 'whiningly beg for mercy', and it still doesn't make

But "enormously high, nay, heroic level" in ANYTHING is not what I was talking about.

> him Darkseid. PLus, of course, HW is just a bit cleverer than all the
> previous systems.

Until you show me the actual mechanics, I have no more rational cause to believe your interpretation than you have rational cause to accept my misgivings.

> >Likewise, I like having lots of fine detail in
> >skills and lots of fine detail in combat (which goes along with lots of
> >fine detail in skills).
>
> Use the rules creatively, and you can have it. Define what various
> bet sizes mean to you, make lots of use of augmentation, bonuses, edges and
> flaws, . Use the rules uncreatively, and fine detail just bogs you down in
> any system.

Use <AD&D | GURPS | RuneQuest | Tunnels & Trolls> creatively, and you can have it.

In other words, you've given me nothing to assuage my fears.

My greatest fear, though, is that HeroWars will remove anything non-Heroic from anything Gloranthan to come. I worry that, regardless of the HW rules, the HW-based Glorantha material will end up being as influenced by the implied power level of HW as it was by the implied power level of RuneQuest. Thus, wonderful things like Gimpy's may be preserved through mere inertia, but we'll see nothing new of such vintage. Everything will now be HEROIC, thus ignoring the daily life sort of gaming that I like doing.

"Heroes are far away and long ago.
 Thank the gods that this is so."

Translation of an old Praxian lullaby*.

*The particular word translated as "heroes" is usually used in reference to historical individuals like Pavis, Homobombombom, and other great and powerful enemies of the tribes. That is, it has the foreign "gender". The same word with the masculine or feminine "gender" is more positive.