Re: RQ/HW

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 02:57:08 EST

Bryan Maloney:

<< Using dice to resolve intrigue? BLEAGH!!!!! That sounds like the utter worst in munchkin Vampire play. I've witnessed such. They let their dice play their personalities for them. Of course, I generally dislike any game that takes a mechanistic approach to character personalities.>>

    I agree about the intrigue (obviously), but I don't think its entirely fair to say that HW takes a mechanistic approach to personalities in general, in the way that, say, Pendragon could be accused of doing. But, yes, you can have abilities in such things as 'Cheerful' or 'Brave' although its more accurate to say that they determine how well you can channel those emotions than the extent to which you actually feel them.

 <<> I fail to see where anyone could get this idea from. It seems to me that
> HW is perfectly capable of handling this sort of game. Its true that its
> rarely used in the examples, and the scenario material seems (alas) likely
> avoid this sort of thing too, but the game system can handle it perfectly,
> AFAICS.
   But why bother to switch game systems if the material accompanying it won't support such? Might as well stay where I am, no?>>

     Well, obviously if RQ does everything you want, and you aren't interested in the higher levels of play that HW opens up, then I'd have to agree with you - there really isn't any point in learning the new system. But you seemed to be claiming that the *system* couldn't handle it, which is inaccurate.

<< > Fortunately, HW is probably the first system ever published that avoids
> this problem successfully.

 I will believe it only upon seeing it, not an instant before. If it has never been before done, what evidence have I that it has been done now? >>

     The fact that everyone who has played it says its the case is either evidence of:

a) its true
b) they're all idiots
c) they're part of a conspiracy
     Take your pick.

<< The only way to know is to see for myself. Thus, I say PUBLISH THE GAME!!!!>>      You know, I rather think Issaries have some plans to do that...

<< > Now there, you are out of luck -assuming you mean fine detail imposed by
> the rules system and dice rolls, RQ style.

 By fine detail I mean that it doesn't consist of "wing that mutha". If all "detail" in this game consists of telling the GM to "wing it", there's no point to getting the rules. >>

      Right, that's what I meant. While there are rules that deal with special circumstances (the advantages of charging at an opponent on horseback, for instance), and a lot of tactical options in the sense of 'what ability do I use to augment my combat today', HW does not provide the sort of 'detail' that RQ did in combat, and 'wing it' is very much the order of the day. It doesn't bother me, because I'm not all that interested in detailed combat, but its a *very* valid criticism for those such as yourself you feel otherwise. Though you've only got my word for that, so you may want to see the game before believing me.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky