RQ/HW

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:10:46 EST

Jim Chapin:
>The advantage of Runequest over D & D used to be its gritty realism.
>Combat was dangerous. Fighting anyone could kill you; someone weaker than
>you was still a threat.(cf. Rurik and the trollkin)

Yes, that was the case, though we never saw offical RQ stats for a hero, so how could we compare?

>I must confess that Hero Wars, so far, (not on the basis of playing it, but
>just of hearing about it on this line) sounds like Tunnels and Trolls.

Its not at all like tunnels and trolls, believe me.

>If you are powerful, you just step on people less powerful.

No, the less powerful people simply have to be more careful about how they get you. If you are fighting Harrek as a tribe, you would prepare long in advance. One of the key ingredients of being a successful hero is to be somewhat unpredicatable. If you are always doing the same thing, you will suffer for it as your enemies work out your strengths.

>People weaker than you stand no chance.

Individual people stand little chance, this is true. Quantity has a quality all of its own, or as the aphorism runs "god is on the side with the big battalions"

>Given Runequest, I understood why people had a problem with Onslaught.

I think this depended on how you saw and ran RQ. There are players out there with characters that could eat O for breakfast playing by the RQ rules.

>Given Hero Wars, I don't understand the problem. Hero Wars seems to offer
the >chance of roleplaying either people who need have no fear of anyone except two >or three others at their own level, or the chance of roleplaying utter weakness.

Not at all, the scalability is total. Nor do you even have to play a game of violence. It is perfectly possible in the system to have the entire party play politicians with masteries in Machiavellian Intrigue, Bribe, Oratory etc and see the same amount of dice rolling as a combat game. This was a nightmare to do in RQ.

>Onslaught will probably be the typical Hero Wars character.

I don't think so. He's an extreme and requires an extreme of play to make sense. Most players will be far more mainstream in their choices.

>I hope I'm wrong, but, so far, Hero Wars sounds like the perfect munchkin
>game.

No more than any other. Any game can be a Munchkin game, as long as the players and GM are munchkins...

Martin Laurie