Re: RuneQuest/Hero Wars

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:25:34 EST

Jim Chapin:

<< I must confess that Hero Wars, so far, (not on the basis of playing it,
but just of hearing about it on this line) sounds like Tunnels and Trolls. If you are powerful, you just step on people less powerful. People weaker than you stand no chance. >>

     They'd have to be a *lot* weaker than you for that to be the case - say a couple of masteries (and even 1W2 is equivalent to about 150% skill in RQ, IMO). However, it is certainly a lot less likely that a powerful person will be killed by a 'lucky blow' than in RQ. Mind you, the sort of person who goes around with a couple or more levels of mastery in his best skills probably had enough magic to be pretty hard to injure in RQ, too.

<< Hero Wars seems to offer the chance of roleplaying either people who need
have no fear of anyone except two or three others at their own level,>>

     I think its a good deal more than two or three unless you're playing a character who is unusually powerful even by HW standards.

<< or the chance of roleplaying utter weakness. >>

     Not really; there's a pretty huge range of abilities, and plenty of room for 'medium level' characters, although HW's default 'medium level' is a lot higher than RQ's.

 Onslaught will probably be the typical Hero Wars character. >>

      I doubt it, to be honest, although I'll concede he won't be a very unusual one, either.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky