Role-playing and Roll-playing

From: Rick Meints <RMEINTS_at_ford.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:42:37 +0000

Once again this topic rears its ugly thread...

It's one of my favorites, so I can't resist commenting on it. First let's review the stereotypes:

ROLE Players (in the eyes of Roll-players): are seen as judgemental, pretentious, and pompous

ROLL Players (in the eyes of Role-players): are seen as immature, two-dimensional powergamers

Granted, both sides are happy to howl about their persecution, and quick to deny that they persecute the other side. :-)

Not being interested in fighting with either side, I propose a few simple guidelines for everyone to follow:

  1. Having fun playing the game is important than your gaming style.
  2. Making value judgements about styles of play is playing with fire.
  3. No one style of play is superior to any other.
  4. Respect other people's approaches to gaming enjoyment.

As for me, I'm mainly a powergamer who occasionally finds being a storyteller more fun (and advantageous).

Enjoy your game.
Rick