Re: New Temple of the Reaching Moon Location

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:01:34 +0100

> CE MESSAGE EST AU FORMAT MIME. Comme votre lecteur de courrier ne comprend pas
ce format, il se peut que tout ou partie de ce message soit illisible.

Andrew E. Larsen wrote:

     I was noticing in KoS that Tatius the Bright spends a lot of his time and energy building a Temple to the Reaching Moon, but it doesn't seem to say where it's being built. It sort of vaguely suggests that it wa= s
at Whitewall, since it mentions the Temple after the fall of Whitewall, but it's not definite.

I say:

    The TotRM is _precisely_ located on the map of Sartar & Tarsh in KoS p. 129... It lies at the foot of the northernmost point of the Storm Mountains in Sambari Pass (Hail Hedkoranth !). It seems to be equidistant between Boldhome & Old Wind Temple. This is Balmyr territory & according to Martin Laurie & Patrick Sandberg (?) also on the Firebull clan's tula.

Robert Stancliff wrote:

    Tatius was so annoyed because he had to take time to go to Holy Country to deal with the army and then return to continue construction. He wanted to extend the Glowline across Grazeland and Sartar so the SE corner of Sartar would be an appropriate anchor.

    I have always felt it to be in the "Dragon Pass" game hex where the Brown (?) Dragon appears. That is, SE Sartar near the Old Wind Temple. In essence, the temple was built on the back of a new or unknown dragon which was awakened by the construction and the Orlanth's Ring intervention.

I say:

    That's also what I thought at first. But according to the map of KoS th= e
most probable location would be on hex 3730, one hex south of Roundstone. This means that, from his location in hex 4033, the Brown Dragon had to "swim" 5 hexes to the TotRM to eat Tatius the Dull, Damn' Blackmoor & Luck= y
Minaryth' boot heels. This of course raises the question of how a dragon's location can be determined if he isn't (mostly) above ground as the Red & Green Dragon are ? That's one of the greatest achievements of The Dragon Conspiracy; they deduced, from the well-known fact (at least to Dragon Pass scholars everywhere) that the 8 Dragonewt "cities" & the plinths linking them draw a huge Dragonewt rune on the soil of Kerofinela itself, that ther= e
was also another rune tatooed on the skin of our beloved God's Mother, i.e. the Dragon's Eye a.k.a. the Beast rune ! (Linking Dragonewt "cities" 5, 6 & hex 4033 to each other as well as to the Inhuman King's tripolis - "cities" n=B0 1, 2 & 3 - very nicely shows us Hykim's own logo.)

    How the lunar hell did the conspirators do it ?!?     Maybe, they found an old EWF map where the Brown Dragon is mentioned ? Berk ! Yike ! No MGF, no GMF (GameMaster Fun), way too easy: rejected !

    Perhaps some long lost EWF documents mention a feature of Dragon Pass called the Dragon's Eye & they explicititly do not refer to the dragonewt three-parted "capital city" ? Much more interesting, don't you think ?!? Today's inhabitants of the Pass got it all wrong, the Dragon's Eye is not the place where The Inhuman King delves &, of course, the dragonewts don't bother to correct them.

    Mayhaps some of the conspirators wondered where some of the plinth-line= s
go ? After all it is a well known fact that not all dragonewt plinths are aligned between two of their "cities", there are others which appear to be randomly distibuted. For instance, there is this parallel-but-not-quite lin= e
to the well-known & easily observed one between "city" n=B0 5 (called "Smellgood" by its neighbours in Dunstop... ;) & "city" n=B0 4 in the Quivin mountains east of Boldhome. Of course this line in fact begins at Smellgood & ends on hex 4033 just like the line coming from "city" n=B0 6 (called "Portmeiryon" by the elves of the Stinking Forest & "Macgoohan" by Cragspider... ;).

    Perbe Kallyr or somebody else while heroquesting in the skyrealms (heaven is called Jorune in Dara Happan... ask any Buseri ! ;) took a glanc= e
earthward, maybe enhanced by some magic vision ("second sight" or "soul sight" per RQ III ) & saw the Dragonewt & Beast runes blinking alternativel= y
on their sacred homeland.

    (...

     Insterid : << Queen Kallyr... queen Kallyr, look down home !>>
     Kallyr: << How many times, for Vingassake, do I have to tell you not t=
call me that way ? I _ordered_ all of you to call me Kallyr Argrath ! It's written in the stars that _I_ am the liberatrix of Sartar, you saw it too ! Now, tell me what's going on. >>

     Insterid : << Look here... Sartar... Holy Kerofin... the Pass... those signs... >>

     Kallyr: << What in the name of Lankohring is going on in my realm ?!? Minaryth, what do you think of it ? >>

     Minaryth: << My queen... this is most amazing ! What can it mean ? Hikym's rune superimposed on Draco's, how strange indeed... Wait ! Eurmal confuses me, the point ends past the Storm Mountains, near Sacred Wind & no= t
at all in the Quivins. What can be there, in Dundealos land, I wonder... Orlaront, my friend, you've got to see this. Come here, quick, we need your insight ! >>

     ... )

    If you wonder how the sky can be visited, you can always follow the pat= h
my player's characters found... unwittingly ! They went in the Caves of Chaos in the Ginijji, found the 3,5 m iron ( 2,5 metric tons!) statue of th= e
queen in the Earth Temple, broke it (thanx Eurmal !), found the boat, didn'= t
find the Snake-Pipe, got out, asked Stoneshell the Giant Turle they had earlier befriended where the underground river went, she told them it went to the Dragon River, they asked if she would help them, "yes" in exchange for newtling tails, "no problem" said the Yelmalion of the group, a few weeks later they came back with a dozen tails, loaded part of the iron on the boat (too heavy to take it all !), went down the underground river with Stoneshell in the Underworld where they defeated a heroic lunar party led b= y
Rubine-Eel a female cousin of Jar-Eel & sank a black galley of Kogag with 300 trolls on board (few survivors...). Finally they arrived at the waterfall beyond which the turtle had told them was the Dragon River (_the_ River !). As was understood, the PCs leave Stoneshell & go through the fall with their boat. Stoneshell was right: they float on the River, but not in the Hollow as they had expected but out of Lorian/Engizi's wound in the Sky ! In front of them a gigantic wall like a beautiful patchwork: the Lozenge, Glorantha ! Behind them a moaning god stricken with a nasty belly wound whose flowing blood they are floating on: the Sky River Titan ! If they decide to go up the current, they can land on his flank & explore the domai= n
of the stellar gods. If they don't (& they didn't... ), the current will bring them back to Sky Fall Lake...

    After many other adventures where they lost a few 100 kgs of Ur-metal, they went back to Nochet where they cornered the market...

    Nowadays, all of them wear iron & are filthy rich ! Munchkinism rules !!!

Robert Stancliff wrote:

    This could have been the left-over essence of the unfinished EWF dragon= ,
never fully grown, or one of Orlanth's slain foes which he calls back through the ritual... ie: the dragon constellation reborn. All IMO, Stancliff

I say:

    Very interesting. Does anybody else have ideas on the nature of Dragon Pass' 4 true dragons ?

    That's it for now,

    Christoph Kohring

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: New Temple of the Reaching Moon Location</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<TT><BR>

Andrew E. Larsen wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I was noticing in KoS that Tatius the Bright = spends a lot of his<BR>
time and energy building a Temple to the Reaching Moon, but it doesn't<BR> seem to say where it's being built. &nbsp;It sort of vaguely suggests that = it was<BR>
at Whitewall, since it mentions the Temple after the fall of Whitewall, but= <BR>
it's not definite.<BR>
<BR>
I say:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The TotRM is _precisely_ located on the map of Sart=
ar &amp; Tarsh in KoS p. 129... It lies at the foot of the northernmost poin=
t of the Storm Mountains in Sambari Pass (Hail Hedkoranth !). It seems to be=
 equidistant between Boldhome &amp; Old Wind Temple. This is Balmyr territor=
y &amp; according to Martin Laurie &amp; Patrick Sandberg (?) also on the Fi=
rebull clan's tula.<BR>
<BR>
Robert Stancliff wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Tatius was so annoyed because he had to take time t= o go to Holy Country<BR>
to deal with the army and then return to continue construction. &nbsp;He wa= nted<BR>
to extend the Glowline across Grazeland and Sartar so the SE corner of<BR> Sartar would be an appropriate anchor.<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have always felt it to be in the &quot;Dragon Pas= s&quot; game hex where the<BR>
Brown (?) Dragon appears. &nbsp;That is, SE Sartar near the Old Wind Temple= - - &nbsp;In<BR>
essence, the temple was built on the back of a new or unknown dragon which<= BR>
was awakened by the construction and the Orlanth's Ring intervention.<BR> <BR>
I say:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;That's also what I thought at first. But according =
to the map of KoS the most probable location would be on hex 3730, one hex s=
outh of Roundstone. This means that, from his location in hex 4033, the Brow=
n Dragon had to &quot;swim&quot; 5 hexes to the TotRM to eat Tatius the Dull=
, Damn' Blackmoor &nbsp;&amp; Lucky Minaryth' boot heels. This of course rai=
ses the question of how a dragon's location can be determined if he isn't (m=
ostly) above ground as the Red &amp; Green Dragon are ? That's one of the gr=
eatest achievements of The Dragon Conspiracy; they deduced, from the well-kn=
own fact (at least to Dragon Pass scholars everywhere) that the 8 Dragonewt =
&quot;cities&quot; &amp; the plinths linking them draw a huge Dragonewt rune=
 on the soil of Kerofinela itself, that there was also another rune tatooed =
on the skin of our beloved God's Mother, i.e. the Dragon's Eye a.k.a. the Be=
ast rune ! (Linking Dragonewt &quot;cities&quot; 5, 6 &amp; hex 4033 to each=
 other as well as to the Inhuman King's tripolis - &quot;cities&quot; n=B0 1, = 2 &amp; 3 - very nicely shows us Hykim's own logo.)<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;How the lunar hell did the conspirators do it ?!?<B= R>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Maybe, they found an old EWF map where the Brown Dr= agon is mentioned ? Berk ! Yike ! No MGF, no GMF (GameMaster Fun), way too e= asy: rejected !<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Perhaps some long lost EWF documents mention a feat= ure of Dragon Pass called the Dragon's Eye &amp; <I>they explicititly do not=  refer to the dragonewt three-parted &quot;capital city&quot; ?</I></TT> &nb= sp;<FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica">&nbsp;</FONT><TT>Much more interesting, don't you = think ?!? Today's inhabitants of the Pass got it all wrong, the Dragon's Eye=  is <I>not</I> the place where The Inhuman King delves &amp;, of course, the=  dragonewts don't bother to correct them.<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Mayhaps some of the conspirators wondered where som=
e of the plinth-lines go ? After all it is a well known fact that not all dr=
agonewt plinths are aligned between two of their &quot;cities&quot;, there a=
re others which appear to be randomly distibuted. For instance, there is thi=
s parallel-but-not-quite line to the well-known &amp; easily observed one be=
tween &quot;city&quot; n=B0 5 (called &quot;Smellgood&quot; by its neighbours = in Dunstop... ;) &amp; &quot;city&quot; n=B0 4 in the Quivin mountains east of=  Boldhome. Of course this line in fact begins at Smellgood &amp; ends on hex=  4033 just like the line coming from &quot;city&quot; n=B0 6 (called &quot;Por= tmeiryon&quot; by the elves of the Stinking Forest &amp; &quot;Macgoohan&quo= t; by Cragspider... ;).<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Perbe Kallyr or somebody else while heroquesting in=
 the skyrealms (heaven is called Jorune in Dara Happan... ask any Buseri ! ;=
) took a glance earthward, maybe enhanced by some magic vision (&quot;second=
 sight&quot; or &quot;soul sight&quot; per RQ III ) &amp; saw the Dragonewt =
&amp; Beast runes blinking alternatively on their sacred homeland.<BR> <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(...<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Insterid : &lt;&lt; Queen Kallyr... queen Kal= lyr, look down home !&gt;&gt;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kallyr: &lt;&lt; How many times, for Vingassa= ke, do I have to tell you not to call me that way ? I _ordered_ all of you t= o call me Kallyr Argrath ! It's written in the stars that _I_ am the liberat= rix of Sartar, you saw it too ! Now, tell me what's going on. &gt;&gt;<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Insterid : &lt;&lt; Look here... Sartar... Ho= ly Kerofin... the Pass... those signs... &gt;&gt;<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kallyr: &lt;&lt; What in the name of Lankohri= ng is going on in my realm ?!? Minaryth, what do you think of it ? &gt;&gt;<= BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Minaryth: &lt;&lt; My queen... this is most a=
mazing ! What can it mean ? Hikym's rune superimposed on Draco's, how strang=
e indeed... Wait ! Eurmal confuses me, the point ends past the Storm Mountai=
ns, near Sacred Wind &amp; not at all in the Quivins. What can be there, in =
Dundealos land, I wonder... Orlaront, my friend, you've got to see this. Com=
e here, quick, we need your insight ! &gt;&gt;<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;... )<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If you wonder how the sky can be visited, you can a=
lways follow the path my player's characters found... unwittingly ! They wen=
t in the Caves of Chaos in the Ginijji, found the 3,5 m iron ( 2,5 metric to=
ns!) statue of the queen in the Earth Temple, broke it (thanx Eurmal !), fou=
nd the boat, didn't find the Snake-Pipe, got out, asked Stoneshell the Giant=
 Turle they had earlier befriended where the underground river went, she tol=
d them it went to the Dragon River, they asked if she would help them, &quot=
;yes&quot; in exchange for newtling tails, &quot;no problem&quot; said the Y=
elmalion of the group, a few weeks later they came back with a dozen tails, =
loaded part of the iron on the boat (too heavy to take it all !), went down =
the underground river with Stoneshell in the Underworld where they defeated =
a heroic lunar party led by Rubine-Eel a female cousin of Jar-Eel &amp; sank=
 a black galley of Kogag with 300 trolls on board (few survivors...). Finall=
y they arrived at the waterfall beyond which the turtle had told them was th=
e Dragon River (_the_ River !). As was understood, the PCs leave Stoneshell =
&amp; go through the fall with their boat. Stoneshell was right: they float =
on the River, but not in the Hollow as they had expected but out of Lorian/E=
ngizi's wound in the Sky ! In front of them a gigantic wall like a beautiful=
 patchwork: the Lozenge, Glorantha ! Behind them a moaning god stricken with=
 a nasty belly wound whose flowing blood they are floating on: the Sky River=
 Titan ! If they decide to go up the current, they can land on his flank &am=
p; explore the domain of the stellar gods. If they don't (&amp; they didn't.=
- -. ), the current will bring them back to Sky Fall Lake...<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;After many other adventures where they lost a few 1= 00 kgs of Ur-metal, they went back to Nochet where they cornered the market.= - -.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Nowadays, all of them wear iron &amp; are filthy ri= ch ! Munchkinism rules !!!<BR>
<BR>
Robert Stancliff wrote:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This could have been the left-over essence of the u= nfinished EWF dragon,<BR>
never fully grown, or one of Orlanth's slain foes which he calls back<BR> through the ritual... ie: the dragon constellation reborn.<BR> All IMO, Stancliff<BR>
<BR>
I say:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Very interesting. Does anybody else have ideas on t= he nature of Dragon Pass' 4 true dragons ?<BR> <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;That's it for now,<BR> <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Christoph Kohring<BR> <BR>
******************* The Stars Are Right ! Kallyr for High Queen of Kerofine=
</TT>

</BODY>
</HTML>