those cowardly YT

From: Theo Posselt <tposselt_at_dttus.com>
Date: 11 Feb 2000 15:34:45 -0600

     Thanks to Martin and Nick for the words on Yanafal.  I thought I had
     seen #17, but I don't remember seeing a YT writeup in TotRM at all, so
     I'll have to check that out next time I get back to my house.

     Martin and Nick seem to agree on one point:
     << there are two kinds of officers, the ones who shout "Advance!" and
     the ones who shout "Follow me!" Yanafali tend to the latter; they
     embody Lunar heroism. >>

     So, by that logic, what would a Yanafali be expected to do when
     confronted with a choice between exemplifying bravery, and pursuing a
     more tactical path?  If it makes more sense to send in waves of
     hoplites before putting the officers at risk, would they consider that
     cowardly?

     I personally had always thought that would be a distinction between a
     Yanafali and, say, an orlanthi warrior: that the Yanafali wouldn't
     feel as constrained by immediate displays of foolhardy courage, but
     would be more able to sacrifice others if necessary.  Indeed, this
     would seem to be one of the strengths of a civilized army confronting
     a barbarian one (to use some loaded terms).

     Theo