Causes Belli

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:36:20 +1300

Theo Posselt:

> Forgive me if this is a bit of a newbie question, but, as the title
> says, what do [the lunars] want [in Dragon Pass], anyway? From my >

   viewpoint:

> * Peloria has never been occupied by DP

On the contrary, it has been occupied by the EWF (from Dragon Pass) and by Arkat's mob (Orlanth's people conquered Dara Happa while Arkat went to Dorastor). The Tarshites also came close a couple of times (battle of Falling Hills, Orios the fule)

> * Pelorian involvement in DP has always led to maximum harm to Peloria
> (e.g., Dragonkill war, fall of the Bright empire)

The Bright Empire fell not because of its involvement in Dragon Pass but because of Arkat. Most of the bad things that the Orlanthi remember about the Bright Empire actually come from the doings of Lokayamadon, a fellow Orlanthi.

The True Golden Horde was in revenge for the aforementioned EWF.

> * Peloria has repeatedly been invaded from out near Pent (first age
> rule, Sheng Selaris)

The dawn age rule of Peloria actually occured during the Grey Age and is not as bad as it sounds (the rulers for example are considered legitimate emperors).

Sheng Seleris while nasty has been defeated and most of Pent is currently pacified as a result of the Nights of Horrors. Many settlers have lived in the Redlands for ages without any problems.

> From my perspective, based on history, DP (and the Orlanthi in
> general) offer very little active threat when avoided, and a great
> deal of risk if disturbed.

The Bright Empire was not an invasion but a unification of both Orlanthi and Pelorians. The Empire was in Dragon Pass with the full support of the ruling Orlanthi (many of whom sent troops to fight alongside the Empire), much like the current situation today (Fazzur, Moraides, Temertain etc.)

I don't know of anything that the Empire did which provoked the EWF occupation of Peloria.

> Pent, on the other hand, represents a continuous, active threat.

Not according to the best knowledge of the Lunar authorities as of 1621.

> Am I missing something? In general, what is the motivation of the
> leaders (Emperor, Bellex Maximus, whomever) for invading DP?

Because Orlanth the Murderer God lives there and he needs to be subdued for once and for all.

> The only motivation that I can perceive is a need for the Red Goddess
> to defeat Orlanth for control of the middle air, and to integrate
> Orlanth into the Lunar way. Is this an accurate view?

Yes.

> If so, what would the mytho-religious effect of that be?

We could debate what the effects would be until the cows come home but it isn't going to happen, alas.