Buried

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:20:49 +0000

David Dunham:
> I've only seen a gazillion photos of Newgrange, but I have no idea
> how it was actually used. Presumably for interring someone rather
> important.

If so, no evidence for use as a grave has been found for Newgrange proper (dunno about Knowth and Dowth, but I suppose they were graves).

> But I'd prefer something less Celtic

You can't take anything less Celtic than Newgrange. The Celts reached Ireland roughly 2000 years after Newgrange was built. Same goes for all the other megalith sites.

> -- why not use wagon/chariot
> burial from the Scythians (or was it the proto-Indo-Europeans?).

Now that's definitely more Celtic... IIRC, the Danubian Celts and Scythians are hard to distinguish in the archaeological finds.

I agree with the trend, though: burial mounds yes, megalithic structures no.

(Does this restrict the Gloranthan megalith builders to the earliest Pelorians, now restricted to be wandering painted shamans or freezing in Eol?)

> Again, that would only be for important folks, like thanes. Normal
> people get wrapped in their finest cloak and lowered into Mother
> Ralia. I.e. a hole in the ground. Quite possibly they are flexed into
> a fetal position first (a fairly common archeological practice).
> Probably no marker unless, again, they are an important person
> (though this might have a much lesser threshold).

I'm not sure that a single burial custom should extend over the 1300 years of Ralian Orlanthi culture. Burial customs tend to vary somewhat over time. Hedeby had a very rapid succession of at least three burial customs in its 2 century history, but that may be attributed to its boomtown status.

I suppose that in Glorantha there is one very active reason to adjust burial customs, and that's undead activities.

Which, by the by, which are pretty active in "cremation area" Dragon Pass, even without Delecti's personal efforts. Obviously cremation doesn't reach all Orlanthi dead, not even the Orlanthi all (6 in 7), or the threat would be a lot less.