Anonymous Archers

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 06:18:13 EST

In a message dated 2/12/00 5:30:11AM, you write: bjm
<< > He wasn't a 'hero', he was a follower. This is modeled quite well by HW.
>> That would be the point of him being an anonymous archer.
>Who did he follow--quick, name the "hero"? Do so without looking it up,
>since any "hero" great enough to slaughter Richard Coeur de Leon would
>HAVE to be as famous as he!

Eric:
 No, he wouldn't have to be as famous as he. But he would have to have a  whole lot of anonymous archers, which apparently he did. >>

If I understand playtest version 3.6 correctly then it would take only 28 archers (abiltiy 10) to level the playing field with a Hero of 10WWWW (ie three per extra muliple opponent reduces Hero ability by 27*3=81, and where W=20; so Hero acts at 9, archers at 10) . I might misunderstand this but that seems reasonable, and a 'numbers count in Runequest and Hero Wars' catch phrase becomes appropriate. In fact, in this case the archers having 270AP and the Hero having only 90AP, there is a slight bias toward the archers.

If I have got this interpretation of the rules all wrong, or if they have changed since this then I apologize. Of course getting the Hero alone, and lined up against 28 archers is probably quite difficult, but that's Heroes for you. I also think this shows that HW can have those moments where the apparently invincible Hero might be threatened by a smallish group of archers, or spearmen who get the drop on him, enabling the Villian to Gloat 15WW Big Success, before making the Hero do something he hadn't wanted to do.

Keith N

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #382