Re: East Isle Calendars

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:35:34 +0100

Peter:

> >GCotHW claims that the Kralorelan calendar is used all over
> >the east, as TERRA says, but I agree with Alex, that it is
> >used only in Kralorela.
>
> He didn't say that, he said Draconism was only a Kralori thing.

Ah! I see that now...

> I do think it is used throughout former Abzered as the Tsankth
> cult is known to have its holy day in the week of Unpathed
> Waters in the Month of Spirit (according to Gods of Glorantha).

If those parts were under Kralorelan domination in (more or less) recent times, that would make sense.

> >The ancestral dragons are not known
> >in the rest of the east and the number six has no special
> >mythic significance.
>
> But the calender makes no mention of dragons. What it does
> say is the Month of Silence, Spirit etc.

I have never seen these name in any other context than as the names (titles?) of the ancestral dragons. Do you have any other references?

One could argue for using the same month and week division all over the east, but the number six has no mythic significance in Vithela. If we accept a connection between the Kralorelan months and the ancestral dragons, the closest Vithelan equivalence would be the High Gods (which are nine or ten in number, depending on how you count). That's the reasoning behind my tentative high calendar.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com