morals

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:12:48 GMT

David Dunham:
> > So, by that logic, what would a Yanafali be expected to do when
> > confronted with a choice between exemplifying bravery, and pursuing a
> > more tactical path?

> Religions don't have to be logical. The Orlanthi religion says that
> violence is always an option -- but that there is always another way.

Freely translating into a natural language predicate, that would seem to mean "There exists in any situation at least two options, one pf which is violence". Elementary, my dear Data.

I agree with David that the values of a religion don't amount to a full-blown system of ethics: often you'll have to make judgements between competing virtues (or choose the lesser of two vices), which more detailed moral teaching than is presented requires. (Or just personal priorities, come to that.)

Cheers,
Alex.