Re: Linguistic Difficulties

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:59:02 GMT

John Hughes:
> Seriously, can someone explain please what is happening to the
> Digest? Not so long ago any posts I made from MS Outlook tended to
> disappear. Not so now.

Beats me. As I said, it's also affected From lines, MIME codes, and heaven knows what else. I'm guessing if Eric has changed nothing, the digest server's upstream ISP has tweaked some stuff.

> And why have duplicate HTML codings started to appear?

People sending 'em that way, or in some cases it would seem, gateways enforcing that format.

> Is there a preferred mode for postings?

I'd say in general, plain text, and the plainer, the better. MIME characters seem to be handled correctly now, but others still report problems, and I suppose some mailers don't handle them anyway. Equally some mailers don't handle HTML, so even if the digest doesn't magle them, the result won't be at all readable if it ends up in single-part tagged form in such a mail reader.

Cheers,
Alex.