Re: Anonymous Archers

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:10:48 -0500 (EST)

Alex :

>More than slightly! For the numbers cited this stacks things significantly
>in the archers' favour. If you're resolving their attack collectively,
>the phrase "We bet 90AP" should illustrate the degree of the Hero's
>problem...

On a side-note. Can archers make such huge bets?

I'm not talking just about archery here, but generaly in Hero Wars discussions I've seen people talk about SP/AP betting just as a statistical game. I think it's very important to keep focused on the fact that an SP bet directly links to the character(s) taking a commensurately risky game-world action.

In archery, this might mean risking overextending the bow, climbing up on a dodgy branch in a precarious possition and risking falling in order to get a better angle on your target, exposing yourself to counterattacks by allied enemy archers or charges by cavalry, etc. However the onus should be on the player making the statement of intent to describe their character's actions, and then justify the AP/SP stake based on that.

I know we're talking about the game system in general terms here, but I think it's worth makig this point as it's easy to lose sight of.

Having written the above, I then read Theo's post....

Theo :

>As said, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the flavor of
> combat, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps messages could be sent to me
> directly to avoid the righteous anger of the RQ-grognards...

I think we may both be talking about exactly the same thing. It's very easy in HW to start talking just about which ability you're rolling against and how many AP/SPs you're betting. The few times I have run HW contests I found the best approach was to absolutely ban any mention of rules untill after the players had made their statements of intent - descriptions of what their characters are doing and what they hope to achieve. After that it's usualy pretty easy to say which Abilities they are using, whether there are any appropriateness modifiers and agree on the AP/SP bet. This way the focus is firmly on the action, not on the game mechanics used to resolve it.

Simon