Hero Wars Playtest

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:14:26 +0000

Theo said:

> In sum I'd say: roleplaying good, combat bad.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Actually I'd say, character generation brilliant, roleplaying good, the whole Action Points mechanism unutterably awful.

> Currently my group is
> contemplating grafting RQ combat and HW character creation &
> non-combat together; whether this unholy merger would work is another
> question.

I was thinking of rejigging it to something more like OVER THE EDGE. I'd reintroduce something like a stat for physical health/wounds taken (which could be built up just like an ordinary HW attribute) and scrap the Action Points betting mechanic entirely basing rounds of combat on the simple attribute test table. You might need slightly different mechanics for individual combat, group combat and really large scale combat but that's perfectly do-able. I'm going to wait until the final version is out before making any final decisions though.

> As said, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the flavor of
> combat, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps messages could be sent to me
> directly to avoid the righteous anger of the RQ-grognards...

You're much more likely to arouse the ire of those who really, really like HW and want us to hold off on all criticism until it's published.