Char-Un Detachments

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:55:00 -0000

In "Tarsh War", we introduced the Char-Un hetman's NPC sidekick Anatoliy in order to prod Ignatieff into "proper" cossack behaviour. So that if Hetman Ignatieff starts acting all soft and obedient, Anatoliy starts to become more popular with the men, gets the best steaks round the campfires, drinks more vodka, dances better, and then *he's* the one who gets them to disobey orders in their quest for slaughter and pillage.

In one game I ran, the Hetman saw Anatoliy as such a serious threat to his leadership that *he* was assigned to lead all the most dangerous patrols.
(Clearly, this Anatoliy was also a player character adventurer in a
smaller-scale game going on at the same time).

This suggests, contra Alex, that Char-un detachment commanders may be assigned for far-from-excellent organisational reasons.

(In the first ever run of "Tarsh War", BTW, the Hetman was eventually
impaled following a court-martial. The same player, Steve Thomas, took over as Hetman Anatoliy, Ignatieff's successor. Asked how he felt about his former commander's execution, he took it commendably well: "He was weak, and we have his women.")

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick