Re: Char-Un Detachments

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:55:11 GMT

Nick Brooke posts of back-biting sly Char-Uns, with a small flavour of "what this war needs is a futile gesture":
> This suggests, contra Alex, that Char-un detachment commanders may be
> assigned for far-from-excellent organisational reasons.

On the contrary (contra Nick contra Alex?), I'd say that was an _excellent_ organisational reason, within the broad meaning of the term as I intended it... (Not so much a lack of sub-leaders, and too dang many...)

The more problematic cases are likely to be things like the closed order infantry. If you really need, not one phalanx, but 20 or 50 or 200 patrols of one size or another, then you may be somewhat hosed in terms of finding a 'valid' doctrinal means of doing so. Which doesn't mean that it won't ever be done, but it guarantees pretty much that they won't like it, won't be magically and mayhemicly efficient wh^H^Hif trouble strikes, etc.

Cheers,
Alex.