Wargamers' accessibilty

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:17:09 +0000

Alex questions my happiness to recommend the Glorantha-Board list to miniatures gamers and teeters towards accusing me of being judgemental about wargamers' interest in the minutiae of Gloranthan mythology.

Two parts to this:

Chris Ward felt that the G-B folks wouldn't mind the odd miniatures related post (I shall poll opinion on this before going to print). And…

Yes, I am being terribly judgemental. I also intend to be quite explicit about this in the article which is aimed at the wargamer who wants a bit of structure to his/her fantasy wargaming and a setting where they can use existing troops types with a few additions. For example by adding a few Cossacks and red-robed fantasy priest types to an ancient Greek army you could have something which would pass for a Lunar column a la Tarsh War. It is aimed at the kind of wargamers I know who will quite happily play fantasy if it is presented to them and doesn't seem too childish.

Before you all jump at my throat - I'm not saying the arcane stuff on the Digest is childish: the comparison is with the "this is my dragon/dwarf/orc/lizardman alliance army because these are the figures I have" army that is not uncommon in some clubs.

To be honest the main reason for writing the article was that I wanted to get some Glorantha into a mainstream wargaming mag. I suppose I'll have to finish the bloody thing now!

Richard Crawley