Underestimating Issaries

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:39:12 +0000

In message <200002222315.PAA03074_at_chaosium.com>, The Glorantha Digest <owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com> writes
>If I may dissent from the general appraisal of Michael Cule's tale (or of
>Thomas McVey's either), I would.
>I don't like the flavour of the Trading Rune there described, treated IMO as
>a lesser 'Reciprocity' Rune. The Trading Rune, in my respect, is much more
>than the tales hinted at.
>It is communication based on mutual meeting, agreement and profit, in a
>broad sense. It is connected with the pleasure of meeting other sentient
>beings and to communicate with them in order to earn a better way of living
>in the world. In the most ample meaning.
>It is not just bargaining or marketing or peacefully fast-talking. It is a
>way of life based on communicational skill but related to conflict (without
>weapons or blodshed) and winning (without losers).
>I do not have a clear representation of the Rune myself, but I got the
>feeling that the given descriptions are somewhat minimal ones.

To which my Trader would reply:

Well, of course it is guvnor. Course it is. But do you want to try to sell all that to a bunch of Trolls? Our Master Issaries just showed them the bits they'd like and let the rest slip down their gullets un-noticed like. Have you never got a child to eat their carrots by mixing 'em up with something they like?
- --
Michael Cule