RE: lesbian orlanthi

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:35:38 -0800

Alex asks:
>if you were a lesbian woman in Dragon Pass,
>what cult(s) would you feel most mythicly at home in?

I would vote for Voria. It makes sense in that I believe that Orlanthi view hetero sex as an unaviodable part of adulthood. So if you want to keep nasty sweaty men from pawing you, you'd just avoid becoming an adult. In all the published sources that I've seen, Vingans have been if anything more heterosexually active than "normal". Babeester Gor has always held the "dykish" role, though I see her as being against all types of sex, not just sex involving >spit< men. Ernalda implies fertility, and doesn't seem like an attractive option for a pure gynophyle.

Voria also plays into the "women acting like men" lesbian stereotype, in that she reverses the normal orlanthi "cold, calculating women -- emotional, volatile men" standard. A childish, emotional Vorian would seem more "manly" to Orlanthi... (also explains why people wonder about those "nancy-boy" humakti who never show their emotions)

Mostly though I agree with John that orlanthi are much less likely to label anyone based on their sexuality than we are in the RW.

danm