Re : Atheist HQs

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 05:53:02 -0500 (EST)

Sergi Diaz :

> ....A Taxonomic Phylogeny of Gloranthan Fauna.
>
>The last one? :-P
>Uff!, this is real strange. I think it will be difficult but, well, who
>says roleplaying is easy anyway?

Thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense. The sorcerer gains power over nature by subjecting it to rigorous logical analysis. Knowledge is power.

>What I can't imagine is what can be the drive of the PC, apart from
>gaining power or knowledge. Maybe if he is "tied" to his region or a
>group of people are under his protection he will have a motive. Another
>idea??

true atheism, as practiced by the Brithini, is a very dry philosophy. Your life in the world is literaly all you have. For an apostate Brithini or non-Brithini atheist things are particularly bleak. You only have one life and it's fast running out. Only immortality spells or other, even more drastic measures such as undeath, offer any hope for long term survival. I'm sure different individuals will respond to this differently, but the typical Adventurer has little in the way of family ties or emotional security. Why care about anybody else?

Mostali are also in a strange possition. Psychologicaly, all they realy care about is their function in the world. They see themselves as components in the world machine, with a specific pre-appointed task to perform. For a Mostali outside their society the world is a strange and difficult place. They need to find a purpose, something they can latch on to as being their function in the world.

Simon Hibbs