Ilav/Gian

From: Theo Posselt <tposselt_at_dttus.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2000 12:22:47 -0600

     I'm almost afraid to weigh in on this one... but my basic feelings are
     as follows:

     1. Far too much time is being spent on this.  He's here, he's gone,
     he's back again, he's gone again - wait, looks like he's back now!
     From this pattern it appears that we could spent much of the next
     several months debating Gian's presence or non-presence.  If we must
     discuss it, I suggest we focus on the broader points Gian raises (such
     as the English/non-english speaking divide) and leave the details to
     private mail.

     2. Speaking of private mail, if such mail is quoted or referred to on
     the list, I suggest that it should be quoted in it's entirety.  From
     my side I have a large number of questions about what exactly was said
     to Gian by whom.  However, I'd prefer to leave those questions
     unresolved, rather than suddenly launch a quotathon on the digest.

     3. Gian does make some useful points, and like everyone else I think
     he should continue to contribute.  (I like the mercury remark from the
     latest digest).  However, he also, like many of us, makes some
     immensely silly points (young culture/old culture) and should be
     prepared for constructive criticism on the sillier ones.

     4. Similarly, a point to everyone: you can't really complain if
     someone doesn't respond to your post.  (Though I really would like
     some reaction to my message on Dara Happan gender and sexuality...)

     5. On the subject of anonymous posts: agreed, stable pseudonyms should
     be allowed, creation of new anonymous pseudonyms should be frowned
     upon.  Perhaps we should make that an official rule.

     6. Finally, I definitely agree with Jose on his point:

> The Glorantha Digest has become, with the approach of HW, the
> "Official Glorantha" Digest. Many digesters (myself included) are
> finding it increasingly less attractive to take part in discussions
> with an official expert (designated by Issaries)
Of course, some people have immensely more experience and knowledge than others, and their views will carry commensurately more weight. At the same time, it's their knowledge that carries weight, not their official position. I generally feel that a rule #5 should be added here, more or less to the effect that 'we're all equals here, and we shall not create a heirarchy'. If necessary, Issaries can create an 'Official Glorantha' mailing list, sort of like 'Greg Sez', to allow people to rule on gloranthan orthodoxy. Regards, Theo ------------------------------