Seshnelan Sexuality

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:04:20 EST

Theo Posselt:

<< Hot topic #1 of the week for me is gender. Basically, I wondering about
the attitudes towards this in the following cultures: [snip] * Seshnela>>

      We've had Lunar and Orlanthi answers, so I'm going to tackle the Seshnelans. Not that I know much about them, but I often find that posting guesses to answers like this will, if nothing else, persuade someone to post the real ones if I'm wrong. So here goes...

 << 1. how are women expected to behave in public in each of these cultures? for example do they need to be veiled, are they expected to be accompanied by chaperones at all times, etc.? >>

       All women are technically members of a separate caste, but in practice, the caste of their male relatives is very significant in their lifestyle. In the countryside it isn't really practical for peasant women to always go about with a chaperone, but its certainly expected of higher status women and in more formal surroundings (but there are exceptions, which will be a relief to any potential female PCs - see later).

      As for clothing, this also depends on 'caste'. Peasant women are known for wickedly enticing the lusts of pure knights, nobles, etc. with their wantonly free HAIR and their BARE ANKLES... slaver... slaver...

      Er, sorry about that, where was I? Oh yes, women of higher castes wear long skirts, cowls and bonnets, although only the noblewomen actually wear veils in public. Any higher caste woman who doesn't obey this dress code will naturally receive a reputation for moral laxity.

      There are four exceptions, IMO, to the usual rules of women being subordinate too, and living with, men:
1) Foreigners. Who everybody knows are wickedly sinful. 2) Widows without male relatives. Even then, only if they're tradeswoman peasants with a means of independent support, and they don't mind people thinking them odd and other women suspecting them of doing scandalous things with their husbands. Otherwise, someone will adopt them. 3) Nuns. We actually have no evidence for monasteries of either sex in Seshnela, but I think they're a neat gaming idea and reckon that the Rokari are actually the most likely of the Malkioni sects to praise celibacy and complete subservience to God as, at least, a valid life choice. Now, granted, life in a nunnery isn't exactly free of restrictions, but at least its free of bossy blokes...
4) Sorceresses. Malkioni may not allow female wizards, but the Zzaburi Sorcerous Unions have no such exceptions (well, maybe some do, but there's a few of them to pick from). Since, by definition, you aren't a normal member of society if you abandon the state religion in favour of an atheistic Union, its a fair bet they don't act like typical women and get more independence and opportunity. Of course most other people look at you funny for being a Godless Heathen, but there you are.

     << 2. what spaces are all-male?  all-female? >>

     Probably few among the peasants (except for midwifes during a birth or
the like). Knights and wizards, however, will be expected to train, and spend much of their lives, in all-male communities - many of them never marry, although they can if they want. Nobles are likely to have areas set aside for particular sexes in their castles, and they won't dine together, for instance (most likely, there's a 'women's gallery' around the great hall).
     Nunneries and monasteries are obviously single sex.

<< 3. what is the legal status of women? >>

     Technically a separate caste and not allowed to do very much. In practice, things are sometimes laxer, to the annoyance of the wandering hell-and-brimstone wizards which one encounters every now and then (I mean, they wouldn't be much fun in game if they didn't have anything to complain about, now would they?)

<< are they allowed to own property on their own? >>

     In practice, I think those widowed craftsmen sometimes do, but its probably not quite legal. Nunneries will be owned by the Church, not by the actual inhabitants.

<< divorce their husbands? >>

     Theoretically, yes. However, any potential divorcee has to get permission from a higher authority - the local lord if you're a peasant, the local bishop if you're a knight or wizard, or the king if you're a noble (political ramifications, don't you know). If you're a woman and have good cause to divorce your husband - well, you can try, but I wouldn't put money on your chances of success.

<< be educated? >>

    No, though if you're a peasant or a knight, then your brothers aren't getting educated either! Unless you join the Sorcerous Unions, of course.

<< 4. if divorce occurs, what is the legal status of the woman afterwards?
can she remarry? >>

    With permission, yes.

<< does she receive alimony? >>

    If the higher authority decrees it (which isn't too likely).

<< 5. how are female children treated? is there infanticide? >>

     If there is, its illegal. Possibly happens sometimes in the country, though.

<< 1. how public is personal sexuality? are married couple allowed to touch
in public? kiss? >>

     Such SINFUL displays of open hedonism! The horror of it!

<< 2. how public is representational sexuality? are there nude statues?
sexual art in public? >>

     Definitely not. Such things are a sure sign of rampant paganism, debauchery, disobedience and naughtiness of all kinds. Which, of course, means that if there are any pagans sneaking about in your game they've definitely got to have pervy figurines and the like cached somewhere!

<< 3. what is the view towards premarital and extramarital sexual
relationships? >>

     Forbidden. It happens all the time, of course, especially when an upper caste man gets overly excited by those free-haired peasant women.

<< if discouraged/forbidden, what is the effect of getting caught, on the man
and the woman? >>

     It depends on the local priest, and the community in general. Potentially, severe punishments can be dished out to both parties. Of course, if she's a peasant, and he isn't, then nothing much actually gets done, especially to him.

<< 4. what is the view of bisexuality? of adult male homosexuality?>>
This sort of thing does not happen in Seshnela. Absolutely not. All
those communities of sweaty warriors and dedicated wizards living in close proximity without seeing any women for weeks on end, let alone getting a chance to be alone with them, are purely character-building and no smuttiness of any kind goes on. They're stronger-minded than that, and keep their thoughts focused on God. Definitely. Its official.

      FWIW, if somebody were convicted of homosexuality, they'd be in trouble, but it would be a religious crime, so you'd be looking at hefty penance, or excommunication if you persisted. (The Church, incidentally, doesn't execute people, even heretics. If someone commits a serious religious crime, it just convicts them and hands them over to the nobles. What the nobles do then is up to them. Usually they execute them. Funny that...)

<< of paedophilia?>>

      Among the nobles, childhood marriage is reasonably common for political purposes. But you do have to be adult before you can consummate the marriage.

Forward the glorious Red Army!
Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #418