Re: Arranged Marriages?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:28:51 GMT

Tom Merchant:
> Orlanthi arranged marriages. Tell me I didnt read that.

Wish I could oblige...

The term 'arranged' may be misleading. No one can make you do anything, after all (but see usual caveats). KoDP suggests that 'noble' marriages are dealt with by the ring, though even in such cases its clear that the people in question often take it upon themselves to do lots of the 'groundwork'. And in other cases, they get stroppy about your proposed 'arrangements', elope, and other such nonsense.

The more generally applicable factor is this: in a sense, any (inter-clan) marriage is not just a personal vow by two individuals, it's a contract between two whole clans, though most especially the closest kin of the happy (or otherwise) couple. So you can be sure that the 'partners' in this deal are doing to have a thing or two to say about it, all right... This will generally be at the level of the 'helpful nagging' by your father that Tom quotes, but there's no absolute right of anyone to marry as they wish, if their clan opposes them, so in principle it could all get very messy. (Outlawry, legal disputes, feuding between the clans party to it, you name it...)

Cheers,
Alex.