Magical Mystery Humakt.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:31:12 GMT

Martin Laurie:
> particularly given the Mystical slant
> that Humakt has, his gifts and geas system is a form of austerity

Hrm, yes and no. Mainly no, though, I reckon. Firstly, it's not really Austerity as I understand Greg to use the term (unless you reckon all your neighbours attempting to put sharp pointy things through you is part of the meditative practice); I grant you it does have a feel of ascetic self-denial about it, though. (Though less so than Yelmalio's do. Heck, Humakt's geasa mostly make _sense_, for heavensakes...)

> while his secret is mystical

Only in the sense that all such 'secrets' are: the secret of a deity is part of the transcendent (the secret of Death in this case, which sadly neither Martin nor I are very qualified to tell you all about...), but it's not really helpful to use terminology like 'mystical' here as the _method_ for internalising this secret is not a mystical one. (For the most part, at least.)

> and his journey was illuminated.

Bwah!

For those of though intimidated by this Clash of Expertly Titans, it's maybe only fair to admit that this seems to be a very 'rogue Greg' area -- who knows what wacky things he'll say about Humakti mysticism next, frankly, so there could be egg aplenty for more face than one... But in comparative terms, I think it's fairly evident that, say, Shargash is a much more explicitly mystical 'object', and even he is distinctinctly 'mysticism lite', in Glorantha-wide terms.

Cheers,
Alex.