Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #421

From: Simon Bray <simonbray_at_cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:20:42 -0000

Hi All,

 In response to Theo - I believe that Praxian artwork usually appears on practical objects. Carved horn weapon hilts, easily pocketed icons, beadwork on clothing, tatoos, face painting, ritual masks, markings and brands on animals.
Some permanent art pieces will exist, painted by the Oasis folk around each oasis, some cliff paintings and strange statues located along Waha's paths in the Wastes. I think that art work has geometrical qualities, animals of course being the predominant image, even the images of humans have animal heads - unless they are the rare pictures of none praxians. I think that there is a great diversity of Praxian art styles, based on Tribal cultures and even individual Sept ideals. When I was asked to illustrate Tales #14 and #15, I tired to convey the tribal differences in the images - although some of the images are a little hard to decipher for example the pictures on pages 8, 9, 22 and 24 are all images of Eiritha, from the PoV of the Sable, Impala 1, High Llama and Impala 2 tribes. Items 1 and two are small horn carving that fit into a satchel, Item three is a crude pottery sculpture that dismantles into three parts - this was not made by a Praxian nomad, but by an Oasis potter on 'request' the contruction means this is easily portable, the last is a large Impala mask worn by a tribal shaman. I hope this helps....a little.

Cheers Simon.

> The Glorantha Digest Friday, February 25 2000 Volume 07 : Number
421

> TABLE OF CONTENTS
>
> aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.ed Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #404
> Alex Ferguson Meta-Gian.
> David Dunham Re: infanticide; descent patterns
> Alex Ferguson Re: Jerry Springer panel
> Alex Ferguson Re: Mrs Eel
> Peter Metcalfe Rokari Nunneries
> Theo Posselt DHn sexcapades | Orlanthi lurrve | Prax
> edige_at_juno.com Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #420
> Alex Ferguson Onslaught recidivism, perhaps sorta about Her
>
> RULES OF THE ROAD
>
> 1. Do not include large sections of a message in your reply. Especially
> not to add "Yeah, I agree" or "No, I disagree." Or be excoriated.
> If someone writes something good and you want to say "good show"
> please do. But don't include the whole message you praise.
> 2. Use an appropriate Subject line.
> 3. Learn the art of paraphrasing: Don't just quote and comment on a
> point-by-point basis.
> 4. No anonymous posting, please. Don't say something unless you're ready
> to stand by it.

> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:00:42 -0600
> From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
> Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #404
>
> >From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
> >Subject: Re: Newgrange
> >
> >I said
> >
> >and was corrected by Andrew E. Larsen:
> >> Untrue. When Michael O'Kelly conducted a series of annual digs at
> >> Newgrange from 1962 to 75, he found the remains of 2 bodies in the
> >> main chamber, whose bones were scattered about, suggesting that
> >> they might have been moved in there sometime after the site was
> >> built or disturbed at some point by grave robbers. He also found
> >> the cremated remains of at least 3 and possibly more people, as
> >> well as several pendants and other items.
> >
> >This for a site which had ample space for many bodies. Do you have dates
> >for these finds? It is possible that later groups used the earlier
> >monument as a place to bury their dead. This still doesn't mean that
> >Newgrange was primarily a grave - otherwise all of christianity's great
> >cathedrals would have to be categorized as monuments to the dead buried
> >within as well.
>
> I do not know if any dates have been assigned to those bodies, but
> it would be a moot point, since the dating of Newgrange itself is vague.
> The size of the monument in comparison to the number of bodies is isn't a
> real indicator, since the Pyramids were built to house just one body.
> However, you're right that there is nothing to prove that
Newgrange
> was built to act as a tomb. The bodies could significantly postdate the
> structure. However, this is also true of many other neolithic sites.
Most
> [...]
> From: Theo Posselt <tposselt_at_dttus.com>
> Subject: DHn sexcapades | Orlanthi lurrve | Prax
>
> DARA HAPPA
>
> Thanks to Keith for giving me someone to talk to...
>

> > This seems to me to be a good source of both female Adventurers
> > ("those bastards threw me out, now I am a sword for hire") and for
> > Lunar Levitating Bald Chicks.("those bastards threw me out, but now
> > I'm the Examiner for Kostaddi"
>
> Good hooks! If the DHn culture is really as sexist and patriarchal
as
> I described it, one can just imagine the collision between it and
> Lunar culture (which, after all, is majority female in terms of the
> gods it worships).
>

> >> Female children are treated as household servants-in-training by
> >> the men. Infanticide is, however, not practiced.
>
> > I don't see why Dara Happans would avoid Infanticide. They seem
more
> > likely candidates than most, especially for those not of Yelmic
> > descent, or those "impure" in some way.
>
> My thought on this is two-fold:
> 1. Since Yelm was one of the first victims of Death (?) I would
assume
> his culture would be very focussed on the sanctity of life.
>
> 2. Yelmic culture would seem very rule-bound, and so laws against
> killing would be enforced across all conditions - ie, no fuzziness at
> the extremes of age. Following this view, btw, I imagine Yelmic
> culture is very anti-abortion.
>
> But really on this issue I could go either way, so long as all of the
> rules were zealously enforced.
>
> >> Traditional DHn culture has no representational sexuality. There
> >> was male nudity in statues, but no female nudity.
>
> > I do not agree that the Dara Happan have nude statues; IMO the
> > Pelandans do, the Darsenites, the Darjiini, etc but NOT the Dara
> > Happan who invented civilisation after all.
>
> In this case I see the DHn male nude as being very desexualized, and
> as being more a representation of physical 'perfection' than being a
> real model of a real person. So I would expect that the nude form
> would be very stylized, and probably never modeled on a real person.
>
> I should say that I know almost nothing about the other cultures
> mentioned in this last message.
>

> =======================
>
> ORLANTHI
>
> On to Alex's comment
>
> > Allegedly though, it's not the homosexual 'slur' per se that's the
> > mortal insult, it's the imputation of 'passivity'. i.e., had the
> > insult been "you use the Troll of that mountain like a woman every
> > fortnight", then it would be no worse in principle than an
> > accusation of poor taste...
>
> Hmm... I can see some cultures definitely taking this view - that
it's
> the active/passive split that matters, not the actual gender who's
> playing opposite you. But like Alex said, there's a blurry boundary
> between this viewpoint and misogyny. I'm not sure if a
non-misogynous
> [...]
> >insult, it's the imputation of 'passivity'. i.e., had the insult been
> >"you use the Troll of that mountain like a woman every fortnight",
> >then it would be no worse in principle than an accusation of poor
> taste...
> >
> Although I'm often nervous about drawing too strongly on-real world
> analogies for our models, there's an interesting gaming article which
> supports and adds to Alex's comment. In (defunct) "Interactive Fantasy"
> Magazine #4, Lee Gold talks about self-censorship in writing gaming
> sourcebooks on Japan and the Vikings. He says, "The Eddas refer to Odin
> and Loki--the most morally ambiguous of the gods--as having taken on
> female form, but the only references the sagas made to homosexuality was
> in insult contests. The law codes ruled that you could be outlawed for
> accusing someone of being a passive homosexual--or for being a passive
> homosexual yourself" (101). Interestingly he goes on to talk about what
> he calls "effeminate sedir magic," as I take it some kind of visionary
> shamanistic practice based in the cult of Odin. For this magic the shaman
> is "involved (in) such practices as to make people believe that he played
> a woman's part in the sexual act" (Foote and Wilson, qtd. in Gold 103).
> It is an interesting possibility, although perhaps not for the Orlanthi,
> to have a myth cycle in which a male god has to turn female in order to
> learn or gain command of "feminine" secrets. That seems to be the origin
> of these practices and apparently these shaman were gossiped about
> regarding this.

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 02:29:23 GMT
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
> Subject: Onslaught recidivism, perhaps sorta about Heroes.
>
> > >Martin Laurie:
> > > Given that I'd rate Onslaught at 4 masteries in his best skills
> >
> > >Given that I wouldn't,
> >
> > Er, given that I write him, I think its only fair to kinda allow me to
> > quantify him according to the rules I play on a very regular basis.
>
> I don't think it's exactly infringing your authorial perogatives to
> discuss how your portrayal of part of Glorantha, the HW rules,
> and HeroDom all match up, surely? If I'm disputing that Onslaught
> as he's portrayed is an authentic part of the Gloranthan mythic
> landscape as _I_ perceive it (and the numbers discussed imply a
> pretty significant bit of such landscape), then conceding the contrary
> case before it's been made would seem tactically unastute, to say the
> least.
>

> > Hmm, we have a scale in the rules that is quite definite in most areas.
> > don't see any harm in quantifying. Whats the point of having a scalable
> > system if you can't actually say - this is how tough a hero is. By
defining
> > it, we can play it. RQ had us all stumbling around in the dark. Now we
KNOW
> > that a god is 8w on average and a hero is 4w.
>
> Because to focus on that aspect (and answering a point about myth with
> an answer with W's in it implies such a focus) tells us no more than
> all those 'super-RQ' systems that many of us have spent so long in
mocking.

> Ob-pedantry: don't write 4w when you mean <something>W4, else
> Roderick will smack your wrist. (And then I'll tell him I-told-you-
> so about a confusing notation, but that's another tale...)
>

> > Methinks though that your point was more to do with - how does one get
> > those stats mythically? Or did I miss?
>
> More or less, though I was observing that the whole 'stats'
> characterisation was essentially a digression (and simularly system, etc,
> so several such points snipped, if I might crave your indulgence).
>

> > > (And on a scale which itself is another Digest free-fire zone, to
boot.)

> > Hmm, how so? Do you object to the scale or the fact that there is one?
Or
> > something else?
>
> If you missed those particular exchanges of fire, then consider
> yourself Blessed... (Thrice- at the least, in fact.) If you want
> to know more I'll summarise in email, or better yet, over that pint
> you're doubtless going to be offering to buy me in July, now that
> you're confirmed in Convulsion... (I have the Scotsman's Wallet
> heroquest to enact here, and intend to do so with all my might...)

> > >Perhaps this is why we're talking past each other here. If we're going
> > >to make argumenta ad greg, he's stated the contrary loudly and often
> > >in recent years. Yes, HW game mechanics represent them all in
> > >this manner, but I don't think anyone would claim that's strong
> > >evidence of anything.
> >
> > Then what is the point of building a scalable game at all if we don't
use
> > it?!? Baffled.
>
> You're saying that because the game system is scaleable, this is a
> priori true in the _world_? I think this isn't something either the
> author of the world, or of the game system, would seriously suggest.
> The system is scalable so it doesn't break, that's the point. In what
> way am I implying we should 'use' it? _How_ you use it is another
> matter entirely, though as I understand the whole design philosophy of
> the game, it's mechanical backbone is to support Narrative
> considerations, not to 'model' the world. (Though I've argued myself
> this is not really a distinction of kind.)
>

> > >If you practice blowing long enough and hard enough, do you become
Orlanth,

> > Possibly. Lokamayadon came pretty damn close.
>
> Definitely not, as I understand it. L. seems to be a perfect exemplar
> of the 'Ah, if you want to be becoming a hero (or a god, even), I wouldn't
> be starting from here' school of development.
>

> > >I think in order to become a strong-sense-Hero, you have
> > >to first of all re-make yourself in the image of the Other Side,
> > >and if you want to go all the way in the Hero Biz, you have to then
> > >re-make the Other Side to incorporate yourself, into it.
>
> > Yes and no, from what I've read of the rules. I think you have to make
> > yourself DIFFERENT from your god and THEN tear a hole in the God plane
on a
> > god quest that takes you through death and into godhood.
>
> Well, becoming a _god_ is somewhat of another matter, though in one
> sense is 'more of the same'.
>
> To become a Hero, you have to 'do' something different from your god,
> yes (or 'rediscover' some such act -- polite term for same thing,
> effectively), but the devotional-theistic process is fundamentally about
> identification and emulation, first and foremost. An Orlanthi
> HeroQuestor isn't likely to be going around, wondering how he can be
> sure and keep his Brand Identity different from his God's: rather, the
> difference that will eventuallly form the basis of his hero cult
> (assuming one comes to be) is implicit in the situation he finds himself
> in: what _would_ Orlanth have done, had he been in this particular
> spot, as it were. You won't get very far (with this method) if you
> flaunt the emulational model at every turn: Orlanth would have left the
> checkered battle to go play footsie with Ernalda, but _I'm_ going to
> grind out a painfully long Karpovian mate in 56. Much more
> characteristic is to discovered a _different_ 'checkered battle', and
> apply the 'same' solution. (I apologise for the mildly peacenik
> example: repeat as necessary with Humakt the Champion, the Sword
> Story, the Lead Cross, etc.)
>
> Note that I do stress, by that particular HQ method, I wouldn't want
> to imply that that's the _only_ means of interacting with the Other
> Side. It's certainly the characteristic Orlanthi method, though,
> and meandering on to others would be Beyond the Scope of The Present
> Article -- and would risk me talking (more) uninformed nonsense,
> I fear.
>
> Of course, one way to be sneaky about it, and still 'work' with the
> above scheme is not to be identifying with the entity everyone _thought_
> you were, all along. "Hey, Humakt the Champion wouldn't do a thing
> like that!" "True, but then I'm Eurmal the Murderer" *splat* Or more
> subtle such wrinkles. (Hey, they don't call 'em cult _secrets_ for
> nothing...)
>
> Cheers,
> Alex.

> End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #421