Re: marriage

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:41:16 -0800

John Hughes wrote:

> For some bizarre reason I've never been able to fathom, ROTO claims
> that Orlanthi marriages involve *both* brideprice and dowry (243).

What's so bizarre about this? You're our resident anthropowanker, you know how varied human customs are. I've always cherished this detail.

As I recall, in the Taming of Dragon Pass campaign, this meant that if you wanted to marry a rich girl (who had a fine dowry) you had to be rich yourself, to give a generous brideprice.

On the other hand, I don't believe there's anything in Heort's Laws that says that dowry and brideprice have to be of equal value. They are merely the outward signs of a transaction between bloodlines and/or clans. And there are always other considerations (relative importance of the bloodlines, who lives where, form of marriage, etc.).

> I believe that few Orlanthi marriages would proceed unless the
> woman gave her consent.

I concur. FWIW, this seems to be the model of Icelandic marriages. Heortling marriage is frequently arranged, but the individuals involved can veto it. Sometimes, the marriage is initiated by the partners, but then the bloodline can veto it.

Icelandic example [Laxdaelasaga]: Hoskuld tells his son Olaf the Peacock it's time to marry, and suggests Thorgerd, the daugher of Egil Skalla-Grimsson. Olaf hasn't given marriage much thought, but likes the idea of marrying the daughter of the greatest of all warrior-poets, and tells his father to go ahead. Egil receives the offer favorably. Thorgerd doesn't like the idea of the match (Olaf is accomplished, but has low blood), and Egil can't talk her into it, despite his opinion that "the answer is an easy one, for this would make a distinguished match." Then Olaf the Peacock spends a day talking to Thorgerd. At the end of it, they call their fathers over, and Thorgerd leaves the decision to Egil.

The wedding feast was hosted by Hoskuld, and all the guests were given gifts when they left. "Olaf gave Egil the sword that King Myrkjartan had given him, and Egil's face lit up at the gift." Not quite a brideprice, but something of a match for the dowry that as I recall was an Icelandic custom.

(Of course, Heortlings aren't Icelanders, but the sagas are usually a good source for inspiration.)

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #425