Re: marriage

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 22:38:26 -0700

A quick response to John Hughes, who disbelieves that women join their husband's clan (in the most typical marriage):

> 1. ROTO suggests otherwise in its marriage rules, and in its focus on
> marriage as an agreement between clans as much as a bond between
> individuals. David's argument is an argument from silence.

No, my argument was just stated by Ian Cooper more eloquently than I've done. It's an argument from logic.

> Your beloved sister was cut down by feuding warriors as her husband's stead
> burned? Relax, she's not of your clan any more.

She's not of your clan, but she's still of your bloodline, and that's where the primary responsibility for vengeance lies.

> marriage is as much an alliance of clans as a
> bond between individuals.

We agree here, but...

> If the marriage is negotiated, and there's a
> courtship (Orlanthi have long courtships, with tasks set by the woman to
> test the man), and bridewealth ceremonies , then there must be ongoing
> relationships between the two clans involved: they must be in friendly
> communication. They are probably allies.

I guess I've played a lot more King of Dragon Pass than you. Marriage is frequently used as a deal between clans that were until recently feuding. They are probably *not* allies. Women are on their own in an unfriendly clan, and it seems to me that snootily insisting that she's still in her original clan is only going to worsen her position. Her best bet is to join in with the women's rituals, which require clan membership. As Ian put it,

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein