Dara Happan Nudes

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:11:30 EST

In a message dated 2/26/00 2:40:53AM, you write:

<< > I do not agree that the Dara Happan have nude statues; IMO the

> Pelandans do, the Darsenites, the Darjiini, etc but NOT the Dara
> Happan who invented civilisation after all.

      In this case I see the DHn male nude as being very desexualized, and
      as being more a representation of physical 'perfection' than being a
      real model of a real person.  So I would expect that the nude form
      would be very stylized, and probably never modeled on a real person. >>

Going to what I think is probably the most extensive bit of Dara Happan sdulpture description published (GRoY Illustration. The Gods Wall) it appears I am quite wrong in asserting that the DHans don't do nudity, although the naked or near naked gods are the goddess of Lust, Lewdness, Nakedness and Fertility (Uleria) and Umatum, her foul son, and also Memenari, the goddess of motherhood, and a goddess whose worship without supervision leads to corruption and death. The text also notes that these figures were sometimes covered in historical times with hanging. There are also some notes on gender which might be relevant; in short men have beards, women breasts, and everyone else is indeterminant. This worrying lack of ability to detect other signs of gender seems appropriately Dara Happan: "she claims she is a man but doesn't have a beard. How can this be?"

Keith 'has a beard' Nellist