Solars and Kinstrife

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:55:06 +1300

John Hughes:

>About a month ago I put out some basic questions about clans where
>yelmalions and orlanthi lived together. Or orlanthi and 7M Lunars. While
>grateful for the replies (thanks Joerg, Alex, Peter, Mikael) it was obvious
>from those responses that the question hadn't really been addressed,
>officially or in campaigns, despite it being the norm! Solars and Orlanthi
>have been sharing clans in Tarsh etc. for centuries.

Yelmalions and Orlanthi sharing clans is _not_ the norm and they have not shared clans for centuries. Yelmalio is practically a new faith introduced into the Dragon Pass era from Prax in Tarkalor's realm just over half a century ago. Before that time, virtually all Solars in the region were Elmali.

>>Besides, kin-slaying of this sort would bring chaos to the clan.

>Disagree strongly here. Remember, ROTO makes clear that the lowest "unit"
>of justice/vengeance is the bloodline, not the individual. There cannot be
>crimes against kin of one's own bloodline (KOS 260).

But killing a member of your bloodline still _is_ kinstrife regardless of whether it can be dealt with by clan laws. Storm Bull was dissuaded from killing Ragnaglar once on those grounds according to KoDP.