oasis baby-slaying

From: Ian Thomson <IThomson_at_groupwise.swin.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:55:34 +1100

hmm

just a thought, but didn't certain native american tribes know what plants to use to induce abortion?

this may possibly be some piece of New Age misinformation, but I don't think so

even with the relative scarcity of plants out on the Praxian plains I think that it was the toxicity that causes the abortions, therefore I can easily imagine toxic cacti or other such plants doing the job

it wasn't a process without risk (IIRC) in any case

certainly seems more palatable than bashing in the head of your newborn with rocks, or any other method of killing

but perhaps I'm just too sensitive :(

I do like the idea of a fixed population due to a fixed amount of water available

This would probably tie in nicely mythologically too with being the same number of survivors who were at that spot, who have nor changed

My only Q in this regard is what about oases that have more recently gained access to other sources of supplies, or who are raided regularly by nomads who drink copious amounts of water? Does the oasis produce more, or do oasis folk die?