Kill, Kill, Kill

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:14:56 EST

Me:
<< You see the problem? To you Jar-eel is more interesting because she is diverse and has cool social skills. To me she's dull because most heroes are like that, I like the extreme, arbitrary dudes like Harrek best of all, or selfish bastards like Ethilrist or nutcase demons like Death on a Horse.  Its a matter of taste as to what is interesting. >>

Fellow Northerner Jamie:
> Can't argue with the last sentence, but I do hope that most of the
rest
>of the post referred to Martin's tastes as regards reading and writing
>fiction rather than his approach to writing She Guards Us ;-).

Sssshhhh, don't spoil my image!

>Fortunately, from some previous off-digest communications with Martin, I'm
fairly
>confident that his comments *were* at least partly tongue-in-cheek.

Don't tell anyone! They musn't know!

>SGU will, I'm sure, have plenty to interest those of us who don't share
Martin's taste
>in heroes!

Big time, in fact, there are way more touchy feely chick flick types in the Empire that macho cut em to pieces types. Not to say you can't play both of course, but the SGU book is for players and will include cults and characters for all walks of play.

> Mind you, I can't help wondering what Martin thought of the character
>suggestions I sent him when he asked me for 'five characters you'd like to
>play in a Lunar game'. Not a weapon-wielder among them (albeit, I grant you
>one had a nasty line in offensive magic)...

I liked em. I think to be honest, once you have SGU, your range will increase significantly because there will be a whole bunch more cults to chose from that the very few we've had in the past.

For example you could play:

A Yestendos river boat captain, pirate or peaceful trader A Tantric style Rashoranic mystic looking for the next expanding experience A prudish Buseri desperate to maintain the old ways amid a sea of permissiveness
A gruff Tarnils officer, a veteran and fighter An effete ballet enthusiast Polaris devotee who sits in his tent directing the battle.
A Tareltara Martial Artist who can leap small buildings and punch through walls
A trader of Etyries, opening new possibilities beyond the frontier A moon boat captain or commander of Sky Marines A Rufelza fanatic hunting down insane White Moonies A Hon-eel Sacrfice Priestess looking for a fresh victim A follower of Panishi, heroic founder of the Char-un nation and professional killer
A Lunar sorcerer studying in the Minor classes, hoping for placement A old school Carmanian Hazar of the Lion, or the Bull or of Karmanos himself. A Carmanian from the new school following Aronius Joranthirs lead. A Sylilan Earl, come to the Tripolis to study their way. A Glamourite city shaman using the city spirits to work magic and survive A Gladiator in the arenas killing to live A healer of Erissa or Deezola, seeking the suffering to give solace A Yelm noble, dispenser of Antirian Justice and champion of Noblesse oblige A Danfive Charoni trying to survive the penal legions and the work gangs. A sage of Irripi Ontor looking for something new to study on the fringes of society.
A Vizier of Carmania, hater of an enemy house. A Pelandan follower of Daxdarius and covert rebel etc etc

The list goes on. The number of adventures one can have in the Empire are endless. I sat and wrote over forty scenario hooks inside an hour without running out of ideas. A list will be included to show players what might be done as a player.

Martin Laurie