RE: Lunar Tricksters

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:00:00 -0500

Andrew Barton:

>Do tricksters have a social role in the Lunar Empire, as they do in
>Orlanthi society? Or would they be opposed to the empire, as an
>underground resistance? Or both?

IMG at least there's an official trickster/courtesan cult that serves the Emperor. It's an extremely small cult and its high priest is currently in exile for a number of reasons. (Partially because he is a high priest instead of the more usual high priestess). The goddess is named Cora Two-Mouths and the role of her cult is to amuse Moonson and anyone designated by Moonson. (You can imagine what being amused by a trickster/courtesan might be like). It's a highly specialized cult and I don't think they would even be known of outside of Glamour. Members of the cult are allowed to poke fun at Moonson (within reason of course, that's the other part of the reason for the high priest's exile).

I don't have a write-up of the cult but there are some stories about the goddess before her apotheosis on my web site. You can find them under the Stories heading and they're called

How the Tomato came to Glamour
Cora and the Mooncats

Again this is all VMIMG (very much IMG).

Oliver D. Bernuetz
www.geocities.com/bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca