Genert's Runes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 16:05:57 +1300

Julian Lord:

>Maybe (but maybe not), Genert "owned" the Earth Rune
>when he was a living god (at least in the Generti
>pantheon [was there any such thing ?] ).

The Generti Pantheon is the current Praxian Pantheon. But the God Learners/Elves seem to place him as one corner of the earth rune (the other three are Gata, Empress Earth and the Earth Witch), so owning the Earth Rune (or even Earth & Infinity) looks unlikely.

>Also, Pamalt has the "Pamalt-Rune" AKA Power.
>For symmetry, how about the "Genert-Rune" : Wealth ?

The "Power" Rune is really a kinship rune in Doraddi contexts but it could also describe the phallus.

>But what about the "Altina-Rune", the "Theya-Rune",
>the "Sakum-Rune" and the "Luath-Rune", in that case ?

There are no Altinae, Theya, Luath or Sakum runes in the sense of Genert or Pamalt runes. Genert was the analog of Pamalt in that he represents the priestly magical tradition, a comprehensive way of looking at the cosmos.

Pamalt represents the Animist tradition and now lives in Sakum. His kinship rune is really how he manifests those powers.

The Sorcerous tradition is represented by Zzabur who has the Law and Magic Runes whereas Vith represents the Mystical Way and his runes are not known to me.

Food for thought: if Genert's death caused the loss of "powers of unity and harmony", then anything left could be described by earth and disorder. Which God would this be?

Bruce Hollebone:

>Genert probably had runes something like Earth, Fertility and Mastery,
>according to the GL's. I argue, however, that runic classifications for a
>being like Genert (or Pamalt, for that matter) are essentially meaningless.

Since Pamalt's runes make sense, I fail to see why they are meaningless.

>Genert was a giant and therefore "predated" the Celestial Court. I'm
>certain he was one of the survivors of the unknown war between the
>dragons and giants that took place before the gods were born.

The War between giants and dragons is present in many human mythologies and the God Learners placed this war after the formation of the Celestial Court. For example, the Praxians believe their gods to be giants and the war whereas the Vithelans believe that Dragons come from Dogsalu who was created by the Three Magicians (one of which was Genert) in their war against Vith.

>He existed
>before the Runes were expressed by the Court, like the major dragons.

Since the Kralori do (and the EWF did) give their dragons runes, I do believe the major dragons to have runes.